Do corticosteroids affect adrenergic receptors?

Does the use of corticosteroids have any effects in common with using adrenergic agonists, particularly the following?

- Release of catecholamines

- Arousal of the sympathetic nervous system

- Stimulation of adrenergic receptors (directly or indirectly)

I searched on Google Scholar for "corticosteroids" and "adrenergic" and found a few papers linking the two together, but overall my impression is that the only thing cortisol and epinephrine/norepinephrine have in common is that they are produced in the adrenal gland; otherwise they are essentially unrelated.

Or have I totally misunderstood? laugh.gif

Does the use of corticosteroids have any effects in common with using adrenergic agonists, particularly the following?

I searched on Google Scholar for "corticosteroids" and "adrenergic" and found a few papers linking the two together, but overall my impression is that the only thing cortisol and epinephrine/norepinephrine have in common is that they are produced in the adrenal gland; otherwise they are essentially unrelated.

I am a medical student and I would really like this problem solved. I will try to find a solution and then let you know but if someone else has the requisite knowledge, please let us have it as well.

Thanks Ahsan! smile.gif

My reason for asking is that I have had adverse reactions to adrenergic agonists, for an unknown reason. A doctor I'm seeing is planning to prescribe me a corticosteroid, and I want to make sure I won't have the same type of adverse reaction. I'll definitely ask for his opinion, but it would be good to know a bit of the basic science beforehand.

Thanks Ahsan! smile.gif

My reason for asking is that I have had adverse reactions to adrenergic agonists, for an unknown reason. A doctor I'm seeing is planning to prescribe me a corticosteroid, and I want to make sure I won't have the same type of adverse reaction. I'll definitely ask for his opinion, but it would be good to know a bit of the basic science beforehand.

I hope you find the knowledge you are looking for. Best of luck

Yes. Corticosteroids (Cortisol) upregulate a1 receptors on arterioles which means that it is more responsive to catecholamines. Increased cortisol = increased a1 = more vasoconstriction, and vice versa.