Counting problem

Duy

HI guys.

I have a problem with my assignment like:

Hexadecimal numbers are made using the sixteen digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F. For a four digit number, the most significant digit is restricted to the digits 7 to C and the least significant digit is restricted to the digits 9 to F.How many numbers are there?

Because i am an overseas student, so it is very difficult for me to understand "the most significant digit is restricted to the digits 7 to C and the least significant digit is restricted to the digits 9 to F", can you explain to me,please? Or can you give some examples with this pattern, please?

Thank you very much.

Thanks for your help but my problem is "the most significant digit is restricted to the digits 7 to C and the least significant digit is restricted to the digits 9 to F", I don't know what it mean. Can you give examples of "four digit number, the most significant digit is restricted to the digits 7 to C and the least significant digit is restricted to the digits 9 to F"

Thank you very much.

First thing - the hexadecimal system lets you count using base 16 instead of base 10. Least and most significant digits are the same for any number system. Hope this helps.

Consider a four digit decimal number abcd. Think of " most significant " meaning "most important" or having "most effect". Which digit a,b,c, or d do YOU think would be most significant and which would be least significant ? Give YOUR answer and I am sure you will get a response.

Thanks for your help.

It means if I consider a four digit hexa number abcd in that case, digit a must be restricted from 7 to C and digits b,c,d must be restricted from 9 to F. Is that right?

Thsnk you very much.

Consider a four digit decimal number abcd. Think of " most significant " meaning "most important" or having "most effect". Which digit a,b,c, or d do YOU think would be most significant and which would be least significant ? Give YOUR answer and I am sure you will get a response.

Ah, yes. Thanks for your help.

It should means if I consider a four digit hexa number abcd in that case, digit a must be restricted from 7 to C and digits b,c can be from 0 to F but digit d must be restricted from 9 to F. Is that right?

Thsnk you very much.

Not exactly but you are close. Read your question again.