Ferhmats principle

Crash

Soz if i got the dudes name wrong, I was wondering if any body knows of any good books/sites or has any good interpretations themselves into the principle of least time/most time?

I dont get what it means when "there is no change in the first order time, just a change in the second order time???

Im finding this principle very hard to pick up and would appreciate the help.

In the explanation of the Principle (Feynman Lectures) where i read it stated, "the path in which the first order of time is not altered but the second order of time is"

I dont get that part, cheers for the help pangloss

I think you meant that when you change the path of light by a very small amount there will ne no first order (substantial) change in the time it takes for light to follow the new path, only a second order (less substantial) change in time (approximately). Think about binomial series approximations. Feynman sums up in the next sentence that light follows a path that is surrounded other paths that take just a little bit different time to traverse, but not substantially.