question about cold virus

gib65

How do cold viruses work? Everytime I have a cold, I notice there's 3 phases I go through. For the first day, I have this uncomfortable sensation in my nasal cavaty. Then for the next two or three days, I'm totally out of energy and feel like shit generally. Then for the next week or two, I regain my energy but have to deal with a runny nose and a pesky cough.

At what point has the body "defeated" the virus? Is it when I've regained my energy? Or is it when all the symptoms (runny nose, cough) have dissappeared? Are the symptoms just the body's way of getting rid of dead cells and viruses? Is there a chance, after the two/three days of lethargy, that the virus could regain the upper hand, or is it a certainty that the virus is dead and won't come back again?

I'll start with these questions, but I have others which I'll ask later.

1/2. The virus is defeated when it's no longer in your body. There are diseases you can have that show no symptoms until it's too late.

3. Yes/No...symptoms are there for many reasons. Runny noses are to stop more diseases getting in whilst you are in your infected, weaker state when you are more susceptible to disease. Mucus also acts as a barrier, trapping foreign objects like viruses and bacteria to stop them getting to the cells and then running out of your nose, ejecting them, or dragging them to their doom in your stomach acid. Sometimes symptoms are caused by the disease itself. [A sore throat can be caused by a virus or bacteria damaging your throat cells.]

4. Yes.

5. No it is not certain that the virus will not return.

Edited by Incendia

I see, thanks for the info both.

So what does it mean when I've regained my energy after 2 or 3 days. Does it mean anything, or is it just that one of the symptoms has abated (i.e. it's not a sign that the body is making any progress in fighting the virus)?

It just means you have less symptoms...

Usually fewer/milder symptoms is a sign that your body is beating the disease.

...although some diseases cause very few or very mild symptoms. This may be because said disease only targets certain parts of your body. [EG: Cancer]

...But less/milder symptoms when you are infected with a cold it usually does mean you are beating the disease.

Is there a chance, after the two/three days of lethargy, that the virus could regain the upper hand, or is it a certainty that the virus is dead and won't come back again?

It's possible, but not probable. Even in immunodeficiency, the cold virus doesn't often win. Our bodies learn the new nature of the mutated virus, and once we have antibodies (and other mechanisms) in place for a specific cold virus, it doesn't have a chance.

Edited by FX

I see,

So, in other words, if I'm taking Cold-FX to combat my cold, I shouldn't stop just because I've regained my energy. And I certainly shouldn't go out drinking (I've heard alcohol weakens the immune system).

I don't know anything about Cold-FX (though I am going to Google it as soon as I finish this post).

Drinking = so many bad things, it would be best not to drink while ill, or in excess at anytime. (It not only damages the brain, high levels of alcohol damages the new neurons being formed, which will cause learning problems about 30 days later)

As for real medical advice, seek a real medical expert. It would seem wise to avoid drinking while fighting an infection of any kind.