cycling universes.

The circles are consistent with the current theory. The cyclic theory, however, is not consistent with all of the evidence. The background radiation shows that the universe is in fact flat. That means that this is either the only or the last universe.

Im not to sure on what you mean that the universe is flat and how that imply's that this is either the only or last universe?

I believe "the universe is flat" refers to the overall spacetime curvature of the universe. This in turn is determined by the overall mass/density of the universe. Estimates of the overall density of the universe (and other observations) say that it has just the right amount to produce a flat spacetime curvature. This is called the critical density. But this refers to the VISIBLE universe, that is the universe we can see. I think physicists believe the universe we cannot see is most likely curved (overall non-zero spacetime curvature).

This flat visible universe is attributed to the exponentail expansion of the very early universe called inflation. See link:

http://en.wikipedia....tion_(cosmology)

Edited by I ME