Engineering or Medicine?

FutureDoc

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what career path I should go for engineering or medicine. Now I know it isn't reccomended to ask on the forums about which field to get into, but, I need some guidance. I both like engineering and medicine equally. Which jobs would have better job oppurtunities for me? Comparison of Salaries? Etc. I'm nearing to a time in life, where I have to decide what career path to follow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It seems to me that you really have to get completely qualified in medicine before you can be useful enough to command respect and a high salary.

There are a large range of jobs within engineering and a large range of qualifications. You can reasonably quickly be earning money at a lower level and at the same time work at improving your qualifications and job prospects. If you are going to get your qualification via university and full time study then medicine is probably the more financially rewarding alternative (IMO)

Here's a suggestion. More and more, doctors use high tech equipment/techniques in their work (unless you really enjoy saying "Stick out your tongue and say 'Ah'" and "Turn your head and cough"). So some doctors-to-be earn an engineering degree as their pre-med. For you to do so would give you a good taste of engineering. If it really grabs you, then stick with it. Otherwise, you could switch over into medicine.

Besides, combining degrees like this can put you a specialty category (and perhaps higher pay). For example learning more than one language and a business or law degree can get you into international business or law. So, engineering and medicine can put you into medical research, biomedical, high-tech prosthetics, etc.