didn't see where to post this question

brian1978

sorry, but the google search lead me to believe there was a psychiatry forum here... maybe someone can chime in and help me understand.

To the schizophrenic patient, what is the difference between the "voices" internal to the mind and a normal internal dialog?

I've hallucinated in the past, but a schizophrenic friend pointed out that mine were always external, I could point to the person I was arguing with... this leaves me needing help to understand.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by brian1978

• 1 month later...

you know who you are talking to, as i understand it a schizophrenic is usually unable to locate the source of the voices they hear.

Imagine you have had a voice recording done and are listening to it being played back to you. you can hear other people in the recording as well, however you know your voice an what you were saying, but what the other people in the recording are saying is also audible.

The thoughts and suggestions the schizophrenic experiences can be like this. they know their thoughts and internal dialog and can recognise them as thier own. But they can also hear the other voices that they know do not belong to themselves like in the recording.