Hi guys, mind helping :D

walshy155

would a thicker wire increase the amperage?

Yes, a thicker wire reduces the resistance which allows more current (ie, increasing a highway from 2 lanes to 4 lanes would increase the flow of cars). However, the amperage results from the combined resistance in the circuit (device, wiring, etc).

So, if the device has a resistance of 10 ohms and the power cord 1 ohm, the total is 11 ohms. If a thicker wire has ½ ohm, then the total is 10½ ohms, increasing the current by only 4¾% (11/10½ = 104.76%).

Conversely, however, if your load draws greater amperage, you'll also want thicker/heavier wire supplying the electricity so the wiring doesn't overheat/fail.

how transformers work, but in high detail.

How much do you know?

What is boggling your mind?

I want to know hot to make a step up transformer.

Beceause before I made something that involved a elctromagnet, and a bar of wood, and if I put a 9 volt batery on it, I would have a small shock, it was kinda like a game.

I want to know how to make it again.

so I want to know how to make a transformer.

I want to make a step up transformer, like this, I did it about a year ago, but I forgot how it works.

can anyone explain.

hvxan9.png

Can you help me with this guys.

I have to bump, this.

walshy, if you are for real you seem to have a great deal of interest in something you know little about. I don't know how old you are but if you have left school then you should seek out some formal course of study. In the UK that could be in a college of education, perhaps on an evening course. If still at school give maths and physics as much attention as you can. I'm sure you could find a lot of information on the internet, but realise that there is a lot to learn and get to grips with the basics such as simple circuits first as that understanding will form a foundation for more complicated things later. If you are for real then I wish you a bright future doing interesting work.

Thanks, I've tried searching for things on the net, but I don't seem to find much.

Thanks anyway.

But any idea of how that image works.

Ahh and one question, that I want anyone to try and answer is. Say I had an 12v DC power supply @1 AMP and 12v AC power supply @1 AMP, would there be any difference, like if put on a light bulb, would one shine brighter, you get the idea. I know that AC is alternating current (house voltage) and the electrons change polarity around 60 times a second (IN UK), and DC is direct cirrent (battery etc) the electrons flow in one way, and don't alternate.

Can someone answer this?

"Say I had an 12v DC power supply @1 AMP and 12v AC power supply @1 AMP, would there be any difference, like if put on a light bulb, would one shine brighter, you get the idea."

A lightbulb connected to the DC supply would shine with a constant brightness while connected to the AC supply it would pulse 120 times every second for 60Hz. Each pulse would start from no light and then raise with the slope of a sine wave to a brightness of ~1.4 times higher than for the DC supply, before it would drop down to no light again.

On average the lightbulb would shine with the same brightness in both cases and our eyes are to slow to notice any difference between them.

Yes, both power sources would produce about the same amount of light; however, due to afterglow, lamps operating on AC power don't produce any significant flicker. Humans can see flickering at 50 and 60 Hz, and on-off flickering at those rates would annoy people and cause headaches.

Thanks, I never mess with mains, because when I was about 8 I was messing around with a plug, and I electrocuted myself.

I didnt know anything then.

So if I touched the neutral, but not the live I wouldnt get a shock, or do you have to touch both? (I dont intend to LOL).

So if I touched the neutral, but not the live I wouldnt get a shock, or do you have to touch both? (I dont intend to LOL).

IMO, you ask questions that show yourself in dangerous territory, and you need someone to thoroughly explain electricity to you in-person before you accidentally kill yourself. My only recommendation to you is to not touch or play with anything electrical until you learn much more than what people have tried to explain here. I'm not posting anymore in this thread.