LHC's first ZZ event

ajb

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Geneva has produced its first pair of Z bosons, based on data released by the compact muon solenoid (CMS) collaboration. Seeing this first pair is an important step in the giant collider's hunt for the Higgs boson because the generation and analysis of many more such events could provide one of the key signatures of the elusive Higgs.

See the full IOP news report here.

Good God, I don't know how this thread got in my notifications. I don't have a clue what is being said here. If this is information the average person should know, the language needs to be different. My only defense is, my father who was an engineer and played an important role in sending Apollo to the moon, had no patiences for language he could not easily understand.

One of the ways the Higgs can decay is to two Z bosons, which is why this is significant.

It should be noted carefully, that the creation of two Z bosons does not necessarily mean that a Higgs boson was created, other channels are possible. The researchers at CERN now need to study a great number of such events.

Anyway, the first creation of two Z bosons is great news.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.