soundproofing a room

cher007

hello, I have been investigating all the different types of materials to sound proof a room...walls and ceiling. I am opening a cafe and there may be too much noise for the business beside mine. I need to make sure it really is as sound proof as I can get it on a rather tight budget.

I am going to drop the ceiling and strap the existing walls. There are so many methods but I need to know which one actually works and can I do it with my tight budget??

Cher

To be clear: are you worried about noise coming from surrounding businesses, or noise your own cafe will create that will annoy the neighbors?

For the latter, there's a number of simple steps you can take. A lot of restaurants are loud because every surface is hard -- floor, ceiling, walls, etc. Sound just bounces around instead of being absorbed. Many companies sell ceiling panels and baffles designed to absorb sound to prevent all that nasty echoing. Here's just a few:

http://www.asistoref...cal-panels.aspx

http://www.acoustica...baffles.htm?d=2

http://www.acoustica...m/ceiling-tiles

There are also similar wall panels and a whole range of other devices.

You could also contact a consultant in the Institute of Noise Control Engineering's directory, though I don't know how that would fit with your budget.

(disclaimer: I made INCE's website, so I may be biased. I am not a noise control engineer myself, though.)

You could also contact a consultant in the Institute of Noise Control Engineering's directory, though I don't know how that would fit with your budget

Here at SFN we offer free acoustic/sound engineering advise!

In short: acoustic tiles on your side of the adjoining wall. if you're going to strap the wall, you may also consider an acoustic lagging in the wall for extra sound proofing.

part_e_wall_lining_system_using_acoustic_quilt_clip_image002.jpg

Without knowing the construction of the building; it's quite difficult to advise.

By fare the most difficult problem is going to be insulating the ceiling unless the ceiling is concrete also. If you're putting ina false or floating ceiling, it would be best to lag that as well. Stuff it with as much fluff as you can. The heat insulating fibre glass foam you put in your attic is also quite a good sound insulator. Make sure any/all sound insulation goes right to the edge; leave no gaps.

You can also try reducing the ambient noise in your cafe as well by adding acoustic tiles on opposing walls and bass traps in the corners. Don't forget, the application of people will also reduce the ambient sound in a room. In an acoustically 'bright' room I often engineer a system to be too present at a certain band-width, knowing that this frequency band will be reduced and the music will sound right once the audience is in.

As with anything, the more money you spend' the better the result.

'Tom's on-the-cheap guide to sound-ending!'

Those nobbly foam mattress covers can substitute for professional acoustic foam.

Hessian (sack material) curtains, or hanging rugs on walls will reduce ambient noise. loft insulation reduces noise also. and not forgetting the ever faithful egg-boxes on the walls.

Remember: RAD... reflect, absorb, diffuse.

p.s check with the buildings inspector, fire code etc, before installing non-standard fixtures. Some foams are flammable.

IIRC. In theatres and music venues in the UK at least. You should be able to hold a flame against a fabric for about 10 seconds, the fire should extinguish itself after another 10 seconds; the fabric should stop smouldering after a minute.

Also, the regulations for everything are more strict if the venue has a paying audience or the venue is to be granted an entertainment license.

Edited by tomgwyther