card throwing help

Locksrule

hello guys.

im new to this site and im sure if im posting in the right section so im sorry if im not.

well recently ive really gotten into card throwing. im pretty good, like i can throw it really fast. However, when i try throwing it at a piece of styrofome, a wall or anything, it never sticks.

The grip i use is when you put the card between your middle and index finger and the bottom of the card touches your palm. I really hope someone can help me out. I wanna know if thats a viable grip to get a card to stick and what grip i would be better off with. Thank You!!

• 3 weeks later...

Google gives me over 400,000 hits on card throwing.

Here's one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card-throwing#Technique

I doubt that there are many experts on this forum. But I remember that the Mythbusters played with playing cards. Maybe you can find that episode somewhere online, or at least find some information about it.

Although the practice of card throwing is certainly a skill, there is a fiar amount of science behind it.

When you throw a card, you have to spin it quite quickly. This causes a gyroscopic effect that keeps the card stable in flight.

If this gyroscopic effect didn't exist (ie you just threw that card without spinning it), then any imperfections, or slight turbulance in ther air will cause the card to either tilt up or down. This tilt would allow more air to impact on one side so as to increase the tilt. This is why cards will flip end on end if thrown without spin.

Howver, when throwing a card, by putting spin on it, this movment reduces the force in the direction you are trying to throw it, which means that it won't go as far. So a good thrower will know how to balance the amount o feffort they put into the spin to the amount the put into the throw.

There is probably a perfect ratio that will allow the bets throw posible, but mostly you will learn this by trial and error (and yes, like in mythbusters, I have managed to get the card to stick into various objects, like foam).