10:10 – No Pressure mini-movie jumps the shark

waitforufo

In an effort to sway public opinion toward action on climate change, the organization 10:10 produced the following mini-movie.

Based on public reaction they pulled it with a pseudo apology.

http://www.1010global.org/no-pressure

With climate change becoming increasingly threatening, and decreasingly talked about in the media, we wanted to find a way to bring this critical issue back into the headlines whilst making people laugh.

Way to win the hearts and minds of skeptics 10:10.

They're not out to win hearts and minds.

Their motives are quite plain and follow from the Greenpeace "We know where you work, we know where you live" threat, identify and eliminate unbelievers.

Just a modern religion doing what all religions try to do. ;)

They're not out to win hearts and minds.

Their motives are quite plain and follow from the Greenpeace "We know where you work, we know where you live" threat, identify and eliminate unbelievers.

Just a modern religion doing what all religions try to do. ;)

I noticed that they updated their pseudo apology to a real one. Particularly now that their financial supporters are complaining. Loss of money always makes true and sincere feelings come out.

http://www.1010global.org/no-pressure

Nah, it's just a faux apology to appease the backers and keep the money rolling in. The mindset is still the same.

Franny Armstrong;"Doing nothing about climate change is still a fairly common affliction, even in this day and age. What to do with those people, who are together threatening everybody's existence on this planet? Clearly we don't really think they should be blown up, that's just a joke for the mini-movie, but maybe a little amputating would be a good place to start?"

Those of us who aren't in total agreement with her are obviously "afflicted" and sick. For the good of a healthy society the sick parts should be "amputated".

To the fellow travellers of these people I can only say "Stay in step. Do not doubt, do not question. And remember, when you truly believe you are saving the planet, anything becomes permissable."

I've seen this posted in a bunch of places now. I think the story surrounding it has become an interesting example of how comedy has come to be perceived as form of coercion similar to the use of fear, just with a different operating mechanic.

Personally I don't think these folks crossed any real lines here. The most I would really accuse them of is not understanding the seriousness of the current political climate. It feels like was an honest attempt and sincerely meant to be humorous and not really divisive (since after all they have no reason to shoot themselves in the foot). The problem lies in the perceptions of viewers (which are not without reason), not so much the intent of the makers.

I didn’t notice that they also changed the video from my first posting. They added little explanation boxes to their little “comedy.” If it’s such an effective comedy, why does it need explanation? Perhaps adding a laugh track would have been more effective.

To me, this is just very poor propaganda. The little box explanation additions just make it worse. Generally propaganda like this is aimed at bolstering true believers. Is this what true believers want? Do they want to kill those that disagree with them and do so in a very violent and degrading way? More likely it’s a threat to those that disagree or don’t care. You know, nice nice, but this is what you will get if you don’t fall in line.

Imagine if this type of comedy was used to encourage immigration enforcement.