advice

quantum125

looking for advice.

Im interested in physics and looking to study this subject through college and onto university in the UK. My question is what would be the best route, what could this lead to and what could be the duration of the courses. I would like go onto quantum mechanics.

• 2 months later...

Well, in order to study elementary quantum mechanics you must ideally have an understanding of the following mathematical ideas:

- Complex Numbers

- Partial and Normal Differential Equations

This will aim to provide a brief overview of the mathematical techniques (you will turn to them later in progress) required as the course progresses .. Good luck ..

Isso

Edited by Silence Resonance

looking for advice.

Im interested in physics and looking to study this subject through college and onto university in the UK. My question is what would be the best route, what could this lead to and what could be the duration of the courses. I would like go onto quantum mechanics.

Okay I'm presuming you're in the UK already and haven't yet pursued A-levels and whatnot? If so A-levels are definitely the way to go for a science degree, whether you do them at a VI-form or a college is up to you, some are better than others but that all depends on your area and again what's right for you. You'll want to have maths and physics under your belt, maybe further maths and another science to boot. Beyond that, read around the subject, learn independently and take great care in picking the right course when it comes to applying for university.

The university applications process also involves a personal statement in which you describe your interest and motivations as well as other hobbies and what you do outside of the classroom - lots of people take up new hobbies during their time in VI-form to make themselves sound more interesting and wind up having some real fun in the process. You'll find lots of opportunities to join in on sports, volunteering or maybe to take up a part time job.

In terms of books to keep your interest, I'd whole heartedly recommend The Universe In A Nutshell by Stephen Hawking - it's essentially a light version of A Brief History Of Time so it makes for relatively (heh) easy reading while also giving you a strong impression of the breadth of modern physics.