Blue screen of death

Zolar V

I went to turn on my computer the other day and i ended up getting a blue screen after windows was loaded and after i logged into my account. Now being a slightly better than your average computer user i tried to track down the cause of the bluescreen to get around it. i found that if i enter safe mode i don't get a blue screen, atleast until i tried to open either of my AV programs. also it seemed that if i tried to open firefox it would freeze, though i only tried to do it once, and all 3 of these happenings i did at once. ( i know, when troubleshooting computer issues your supposed to do it singularly, but i tried to multitask.) The bluescreen flashes and my computer restarts, so i dont know what the bluescreen says. Tonight im going to try to change around the memory moduals to check if it is a memory leak. I HOPE IT IS. otherwise it looks like ill have to reinstall windows. If you guys have any suggestions, im open to them.

• 2 months later...

Always keep your data on a separate harddisk, and have a backup of the really important data. Then a system crash means you can just install a fresh operating system, without losing your data. Because I anticipate having to install a new operating system, it's not a big problem for me.

To install a new operating system:

- unplug data harddisk

- boot computer (to double check that you did not disconnect the wrong disk) - not necessary if you're certain you got the right one

- install new operating system

- reconnect data harddisk

I like to physically disconnect my data disk so that there is no way that I can format the wrong disk. I made a silly mistake once (just being distracted and formatting the wrong disk), so I am extra careful since then.

I use Ubuntu (linux), so I can't offer any help regarding the Windows part of your problem.

Wow, I didn't really realize how common Linux was until this semester. I'd never even heard of it before July, but in the COMP 105 course I'm doing we've been learning all about it, and using it in some of the university's LANs. Ever since I realised it existed, I keep noticing people saying they have it. For instance, my sister uses it at work. I only knew of Windows and Mac before.

Wow, I didn't really realize how common Linux was until this semester. I'd never even heard of it before July, but in the COMP 105 course I'm doing we've been learning all about it, and using it in some of the university's LANs. Ever since I realised it existed, I keep noticing people saying they have it. For instance, my sister uses it at work. I only knew of Windows and Mac before.

I opened a new Ubuntu thread...

I wanted to reply here, but there is no blue screen of death in Ubuntu... so I suggest we stick to avoiding Windows system crashes in this thread!