Why few capacitors are Engraved with polarity and get blast when i reverse the supply potential at my home ?

non LINEAR+-*/

Some capacitors (electrolytic capacitors) must be polarized in normal work - this is purely because of technology used inside them to separate two 'plates'. In an electrolytic capacitor one plate is a fluid (electrolyte), the other plate is metal (aluminum, tantalum) and the insulator in between is the metal-oxide layer. If you reverse the polarity, for some reason (beyond my complete understanding - I should learn chemistry better) the insulator layer gets destroyed and the capacitor gets short-circuited.

• 4 weeks later...

Some capacitors (electrolytic capacitors) must be polarized in normal work - this is purely because of technology used inside them to separate two 'plates'. In an electrolytic capacitor one plate is a fluid (electrolyte), the other plate is metal (aluminum, tantalum) and the insulator in between is the metal-oxide layer. If you reverse the polarity, for some reason (beyond my complete understanding - I should learn chemistry better) the insulator layer gets destroyed and the capacitor gets short-circuited.

Capacitor blasts because electrolysis of fluid takes place producing gases inside electrolyte capacitor.

This normally happens when you connect electrolyte capacitor to DC closed circuit.

I Loved blasting capacitors from my dad's broken PC motherboards, when i was small. LOL