silver nitrate problem

rogerxd45

ok so i was making up a batch of AgNO3 or silver nitrate.

well i was being very careful not to touch it, i wore gloves the entire time.

so i was moving the container that had the AgNO3 (aq) and didnt have any gloves one since i had not planned on touching the silver nitrate because i was just moving ht container to a new location.

when i put the juar in a bowl of hot water it broke and sure enough my hands have been stained with the silver nitrate, and i really need to get it off. i wait tables and cook at a restaurant....and my hands look filthy

THINGS I ALREADY KNOW

-the stain is permanent and only goes away when the old stained skin dies and the new fresh skin comes to the surface.

- i know with time it will eventually go back to normal (i just would like to speed this up)

- i know i cannot just clean it with any normal cleanser

so what i would like to know is what can i do it speed up the process removing the old stained skin, I have tried sanding certain spots where the skin is thick but the results were marginal at best. plus i could only do it on areas that the skin is tough.

for the softer skin areas i need to find a better method for "killing" the top layer of skin so fresh skin will come up

so whats the easiest or least painful way to remove the "old" surface skin

i know the best way is to let nature take it course and it will go away in time. i just need to speed it up as much as possible

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! PLEASE HELP ME-

no one wants a guy with hands that look like mine either cooking or serving their meal.

so the longer this stain is on my hand the longer i have to deal with customers that will most likely tip less and some could even call the health department.....which is big headache once they get involved.

-roger

PLEASE HELP ME.

oh and please save the "dont touch the AgNO3 and you wont have that problem" I KNOW THAT

You can speed up the process with NAOH or medium strength acid. I used NAOH. Start dilute and build up slowly so you don't give yourself a chemical burn. In addition pumice soap and/or continual rubbing with 600 grit sandpaper sped it up too. I did both and they both helped a lot. It took me about two days using this method on a spot about 2 inches by one inch. Sunburn is another option but that will take about 5 days to exfoliate and it hurts too. Super glue is a one day process....

You can speed up the process with NAOH or medium strength acid. I used NAOH. Start dilute and build up slowly so you don't give yourself a chemical burn. In addition pumice soap and/or continual rubbing with 600 grit sandpaper sped it up too. I did both and they both helped a lot. It took me about two days using this method on a spot about 2 inches by one inch. Sunburn is another option but that will take about 5 days to exfoliate and it hurts too. Super glue is a one day process....

yea i put some naoh on a q-tip on dabed it on the really bad areas and then when i took a shower i took a pumice stone to it and got most of it off.

one more treatment should get the majority of it off.

thanks