Energy levels of elements

cnidocyte

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding basic atomic structure. Do the electrons of 2 different elements have different energy levels? For example beryllium and boron. Are the 1S electrons of Be in its ground state occupying the exact same energy level of the 1S electrons of B in its ground state? Also I assume s and p orbital electrons are at different energy levels but what about the different p orbitals? Do they have 3 different energy levels or are all 6 atoms in the p orbital in the same energy level?

Different numbers of protons and neutrons in Be and B would cause their 1s orbitals to be of different energies. This highlights the concept of effective nuclear charge, basically how much the nucleus "pulls" on the electrons.

As far as different p orbitals: All the energies of the electrons in the same p-orbitals (when n is constant) will be equivalent. For example, electrons in 3p orbitals (x,y,and z) will have equivalent energy.

Cool, let me add that the 3 p-orbitals, 5 d-orbitals, or 7 f-orbitals are said to be degenerate, that is the correct term to imply they have equivalent energy. Thats an important term to know as it is used extensivley in basic chemistry/ atomic physics.