Pressurized Bottle Freezing

foolishone

Over the weekend, I went to reach for a soda in the refrigerator, and a glass beer bottle fell out. When I went to pick it up it was frozen and I noticed that the cap was a little bit loose. Did the pressure change in the bottle cause it to freeze? Or is it something else?

Just Wondering

#fo

well when you freeze something, the liquid expands, which narrows the space for the gas, making the pressure higher...

normally, i wouldnt have expected the top to come off, but maybe the combination of a drop and the higher pressure caused the lid to come loose, which would have resulted in some gas escaping making the pressure go back to normal

Well, as the bottle would contract in the cold it's probably contraction that caused the cap to come loose.

maybe, because glass doesnt contract a lot additionally beer bottle caps are pretty tight on, its unlikely that it would have been the reason for the lid coming off, but may have contributed towards it, just not as the primary reason :)

beer freezes because it doesn't have a high content of alcohol. Cheap liquor will do the same.

I can remember going to my uncles, who had stocked his freezer with a case of pretty much every flavor of Sam Adams. It looked like a beer waterfall frozen in time when he opened the door.

I stick to the good stuff, everclear. Get ya drunk with a shot, or start your car in freezing cold :)

Thanks you guys, that's kind off what I thought it was. But about the freezing, it just doesn't make sense because I had to move the beer to get to the soda (tells you about my priorites) and I noticed that the beer was, in fact, liquid, but (like before stated) when I picked it up it was frozen solid. This is getting scientific but could the beer have been so close to freezing that as it was in freefall to the floor, it froze (obviously because cold air sinks, etc.)

#fo