What factors affect the resistance of a wire?

Guest mel5017

No, they've gotten stuff to work above liquid nitrogen temperatures - 77K - for some time now. YBa2Cu3O7-x superconducts at temperatures as high as 94K[/url'].

It appears I'm out of touch with the world of superconductors :)

It'll be nice when they have them up to room temperature. I'd like to see some microprocessors with superconducting connectors before too long ;)

It'll be nice when they have them up to room temperature. I'd like to see some microprocessors with superconducting connectors before too long ;)

microprocessors with superconductors alread exist, in a one off 10GHz computer set, the reason its not mass produced was because it had a liquid nitrogen cooling system, which is not practical for everyday use.

it will take a while for household superconductor to become available, we just cant simply get things that cold... and whilsts the superconductors could work a bit higher temps, [maybe] it wont get that high, a new cooling system would need to be invented.

so at absolute zero atoms dont move at all, they are so cold they dont move a single bit, it is physically impossible to get colder than that, so because they dont move, the electrons dont collide with them, so there is no resistance.

they move slightly instead of being stationary?

• 2 months later...

Temperature does affect the resistance of a wire, since resistance at the microscopic level is related the movement of electrons and very low temperatures will overall increase the mean free path of the electron movement. And this means less collisions and hence lower resistance.

But on the topic of frequency dependence, form what I know, only impedance of the capacitoror inductor is frequency-dependent and not the real resistance of a wire. So I do not think that any change in frequency of the current flowing through the wire will change its resistance.