What are square brackets in chem formula in a coordination compound?

eva

Is it just that what's inside the square bracket cannot break its bonds but the counter ion on the outside can?

I just read about the dissolution of a coordination compound in water, does that mean just the counter ion would react if there were brackets?

Normally in most of the cases the counter ion is bonded to the complex through ionic bonds. And the square brackets separates the ligands in the inner coordination sphere. I think when upon dissolution in water the counter ion will dissociates easily, and even the ligands with in the square brackets also may get replaced by the water molecules in order to establish an equilibrium. And this replacement of ligands depends on the metal center, it's oxidation state, it's LFSE, and also the ligand that is being replaced... <<<For more details on this refer to ADVANCED INORGANIC CHEMISTRY by COTTON & WILKINSON>>>> Hope this will help you....

hello,

Transition elements are known for their ability to form many complex compounds. The complex compounds in which the metallic ion is surrounded by two or more ions or molecules are called coordination compounds, also known as complex compounds. The chapter has covered the nomenclature, isomerism, bonding, applications and stability of coordination compounds and organometallic compounds. i think it will be a helpful information to you.

thanks!!

Edited by Pangloss
link removed