question

Hello

I study physics in chile. I am doing my thesis in "brane world and gauss bonnet term"...i studied randall sundrum 1 and 2 models, and some paper abaut the topic......My teacher of thesis does not help me....

I need find a topic abaut this subject that has not been done....My teacher says that my thesis has to be something new....unfortunately, i don't know another teacher to change......

¿anybody suggest me some calculus?

Is this for a PhD?

I was in a similar situation before, generally little guidance from supervisors. All I can really say is stick with it and you will find something. It maybe something tiny at first, but things have a tendency to grow.

My suggestion is read everything you can find about branes and Gauss--Bonnet terms. Find a paper that you like and see if you can make one tiny step forward from that. You need to find some idea/observation/technique/example(s) and make it yours. Don't worry too much about what is really "hot" right now or open questions that are too hard. You just need "one small step" and the rest will follow.

Don't be scared about asking other experts what they think. It is nice when they think you are doing something interesting, but it is also important when they tell you it has been done before, or is uninteresting for whatever reason. However, for a PhD you can be a bit lax on the interesting part.

Now as for exactly what you should look at I have no idea. I am not an expert in string, branes etc, nor am I aware of any experts currently using this forum.

Good luck.

not , is for a thesis of master of physics in chile, sudamerica. The level of PhD is most hight that the level of master.

For a MSc degree here in the UK, you do not need to find anything new. Is that different in Chile?

For a MSc degree here in the UK, you do not need to find anything new. Is that different in Chile?

My teacher says that my thesis have to be new.....

in chile

undergraduate physics : 4 years...the last courses are : MQ1, electrodinamics, Clasical Mechanics1 (MArion), Termodinamic......

MSc : MQ2 and Statistical Mechanics....and two electives (General Relativity and Clasical MEchanics2 (Goldstein) + thesis 2 semester.

PhD : 4 electives + thesis 6 semester

¿in england the MSc have a thesis or MSc is only asignatures????????

Edited by alejandrito20