Isaac Asimov, I Robot (Spoilers inside)

Kedas

Hi,

Just saw the movie yesterday (didn't expect much of it)

The point of the story was the 3 law robot combined with robot evolution leads to revolution. (well, and some heart bla bla)

The problem is the 'through inaction' in the first law.

A simple example is air polution we just keep going. (not in the movie)

But the robots logic wil calculate that it is a too high price so he has to go in conflict with humans because he wants to protect them from harm.

And human commands/corrections don't help because they are only present in the second law. (lower priority)

So do we need some maxtime in which the robot is allowed to calculate are safety/future? (this will lead to loop holes)

comments? Do I mis something?

INFO:

The 3 laws by Isaac Asimov:

1 A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2 A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3 A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

The first book deals with those questions.

That was the point.

So if I read the first book It will come clear to me or just make the problem more clear?

I should read that book :) (haven't read any book of him)

otherwise I would split up the first law in two seperate laws.

one of action and the second of inaction.

It's a number of short storys that deal with the problems the robots face in keeping to the laws, so yes. The problem of protecting humanity from itself is raised, and possible solutions put forward. It starts with early robots, and the develoment of the laws. For instance robots are allowed to hurt humans but not harm them, as one robot when a mite crazy when trying not to hurt peoples feelings.

In "I, Robot" Asimov was exploring the conflict between man and machine, race issues, and the the possible ways that human and artificial intelligence would interact.

I would not characterise it as "unscientific".