Bonding

Primarygun

my definition of bonding is the share of electrons between two atoms that releases energy upon formation and invests potential energy and is determined by the atomic radii and protons of these two atoms.

purely ionic "bonding" doesn't exist.

in a water molecule, 118.0 + or - 0.2 is the DOO measurement. this is actually a considerable amount of energy comparatively speaking. the covalent radius of O-2 is 1.40, of O- it is 1.76, of O+ it is 0.22, of H- it is 2.08, and of H+ it is 10^-5

And, according to your saying, the "shared"(Actually, it's not shared) electron in ionic bonding is pulled by a very strong force and can only move around one atom(like moon doesn't move around the sun, but the earth). Then, the electron is thought to not be shared by two atoms.

Isn't this?

Covalent bond exist when the force that pulled the electron is not strong enough to prevent the electron orbiting around two atoms.Isn't this?

I think I am able to imagine these particle world by attraction forces like gravity!

the electron configuration of sodium is 1S^2, 2S^2, 2P^6,3S^1

this means that the first S sublevel has 2 electrons (is full), the second S is also full with 2 electrons, the first P (in the second energy level) is full with 6 electrons and the 3rd S has 1 electron out of a possible 2. S orbitals are like a circle around the nucleus. one electron spins one way, the other spins the opposite way. P orbitals look like figure 8s. there are 3 P "rings" per energy level. these are located on the x, y and z axes that all hold a maximum of 2 electrons.

the electron configuration of fluorine is 1S^2, 2S^2, 2P^5

when the Na and the F bond, an SP hybrid orbital is created.

the bond created is considered to be a sigma bond. it is formed between the two molecules. pi bonds can be located towards the outer realms of the molecular orbitals and are much weaker because they cannot bend due to their positioning.

What is the defintion of bonding?

For two water molecule' date=' the hydrogen atom seems to be positive sometimes.

And this moment, the hydrogen atoms attract by the oxygen atom from another molecule, why isn't it a "short' bonding?[/quote']

This kind of bonding is hydrogen bonding. It is neither ionic nor is it covalent. It's considered a weak force or bond. It occurs in water molecules because the O atom is more electronegative (pulls electrons more strongly) than hydrogen. But the oxygen does not actually pull off the electron it just pulls strong enough to create a polar situation. The oxygens can be thought of as a negative force and the hydrogen is positive force. In a beaker with lots of water molecules the O atoms of one water molecule are attracted to the hydrogen atoms of another creating a hydrogen bond. I'm not sure about the short bonding part. I think that means that hydrogen bonds have a greater distance between them then ionic or covalent.

This kind of bonding is hydrogen bonding.

actually a polar covalent bond is formed between each H and O atom. "hydrogen bonding" isn't actually bonding, but it rather is the term for the attraction between a cation's nucleus and an anion's electrons. imagine a H2O molecule; 2 polar covalent bonds, a bent sort of structure (because of the lone pair of electrons on one side of the O atom). the back end of the O is sticking out and "unprotected" by the H atoms. this is a nice negative area, so the H atoms of other H2O molecules tend to pull towards the O of that other H2O. when you dissolve molecules in water, the anion(s) and cation(s) break their bond(s) and migrate similarly to the respective atoms in H2O.

How about silicon dioxide?

The silicon atom seem to have a short moment with less than 14 electrons.When two molecule come together, the silicon atom attract the oxygen atoms from another molecule, so is it the silicon bonding which is not consider as a bonding?

pi bonds can be located towards the outer realms of the molecular orbitals and are much weaker because they cannot bend due to their positioning.

What are the outer realms of molecular orbitals?

The reason pi bonds cannot freely move like sigma bonds is because they are created from atomic orbitals that have highly defined directionality, unlike sigma states, which have more freedom to move as the atomic orbitals have less defined directionality. It must be born in mind that the wavefunction distributions have an aribtrary cut-off point and that the movement issue is not absolute. Also, no bond between two atoms can bend - this would require a third party.

by outer realms i mean like this:

N=nucleus

E= electrons being shared in a bond

the sigma bond:

N-----E-----N

the pi bond:

N--------N

-----E----

you see?

edit: that didnt work the first time, let me try the diagrams again. the "----" marks mean nothing, but using them is the only way i can create distances.

by outer realms i mean like this:

N=nucleus

E= electrons being shared in a bond

the sigma bond:

N-----E-----N

the pi bond:

N--------N

-----E----

you see?

edit: that didnt work the first time' date=' let me try the diagrams again. the "----" marks mean [b']nothing[/b], but using them is the only way i can create distances.

mmm, I think you might get people confused using the term "outer realms" that indicates to me a molecular orbital with high quantum attributes.

An ionic bond typically relates to bonding in which electrons are more or less, not shared...in any ionic bond, the cation typically decreases to a smaller radii as the anion conversely increases in size. The ionic bond moreover relates to a subject which one might have studied in physics...attraction vs. repulsion (same charges repel, opposite charges attract).

An ionic bond typically relates to bonding in which electrons are more or less, not shared...in any ionic bond, the cation typically decreases to a smaller radii as the anion conversely increases in size.

personally i prefer not thinking of ionic radii. the hybrid orbital created by the two atoms tends to minimize that accuracy of measuring an ionic radius.