X-Y==Min(Set partition problem)

SarK0Y

Good Time to All, Amici.

i got following math problem: to split up number array into two subsets (S1, S2) where X[t] & Y[t] are multiplications of numbers of S1 & S2 respectively, t is index of iteration with condition: |X(0)-Y(0)|==MIN(0), |MIN(0)-(X(1)-Y(1))|==MIN(1), ..., |MIN(n-1)-(X(n)-Y(n))|==MIN(n). for example, let's take an array: 2, 5, 7 then: first pair is {2, 5}, {7} ==> X(0)==2*5==10, Y(0)==7, MIN(0)==3; second is {2, 7}, {5} ==> X(0)==14, Y(0)==5, MIN(1)==6; third is ..

------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot in Advance.

• 4 weeks later...
Is it how to split a given array into two subsets?

Also, what do you mean by MIN(n)? Does it mean the nth minimum product?

You're right.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

i got idea how to get MIN(0), but other iteration is darkness for me:-(

Well, I am not an expert in arrays.

But, I can say that: Since the difference between successive products is minimum, then you can get the smaller 4 numbers from the array and distribute them on the 2 subsets (4 numbers as 2 for each subset) by calculating the min difference in product. And, then get the following smaller 2 numbers and distribute them on the 2 subsets by making |MIN(0)-(X(1)-Y(1))| a minimum..... and so on.

This may work out.

Amr Morsi, thanks for sharing your idea. i got MIN(0) with following algo:

//(given: set M with n integers)

sort(M); //M(0)<M(1)..<M(n-1)

int x=n-1, y=n-2;

for(int i=n-3; i>-1; i--)

{

if(x>y)y*=M(i);

else x*=M(i);

}

For MIN(n), we can have the following algorithm. I think it may also work for MIN(0).

//(given: set M with n integers)

sort(M); //M(0)<M(1)..<M(n-1)

ys(0)=M(0); xs(0)=M(1)

for (int L=1; L<(n/2); L+)

{

int x=MIN(2L), y=MIN(2L+1);

if(x>y) ys(L)=M(2L);xs(L)=M(2L+1)

else xs(L)=M(i); ys(L)=M(2L+1)

}

This is based upon the procedure I introduced. Feel free to ask any question.

It is included in "if(x>y)". This compares the MIN Term for each of the 2 new elements, that are under consideration. In other words, it puts element A in S1 and element B in S2 and calculates the MIN Term (int x=MIN(2L)), then make the opposite and recalculate the MIN Term again (y=MIN(2L+1)). The correct classification is the one that gives the least MIN Term.

Note: xs is S1 and ys is S2.

Is it clear?

Amr Morsi, we can use a little one idea: MIN(0)'s generating gives a vector of number's distribution between S1 & S2 to us, this vector can be converted to usual integer Map, so Map=Map-1 is vector to get MIN(1), Map-2 is vector to get MIN(2),.. , Map-i is vector to get MIN(i).

Amr Morsi, here isn't difference. if you want to see idea, let's observe example: take {11, 7, 2}, vector for MIN(0) is 100b (|7*2-11|=3), MIN(1) is 011b [math]\rightarrow[/math]3, MIN(2) is 010b [math]\rightarrow[/math]22-7=17, MIN(3) is 001b [math]\rightarrow[/math]77-2=75.

Do you mean to find MIN for all possible arrangements of the main array? But, this is not the definition for MIN(n). In addition, you are exchanging elements between the two sets. Are you going to compare MINs to find the two sets?