pay someone to do your homework?

ashlimoore

I was googling trying to find some help with these classes I've been taking and I ran across this website called, Cheat A Lot.com.

I wasn't really sure who else to ask so I joined ScienceForums to ask the moderators and other students if they have any experience with this website or any others like it.

I'm somewhat split on my morals here... Yes or no? anyone?

This is what their webpage says:

[removed] is an online service provider of homework auctions.

Registered users can serve as Students and/or Tutors. Students post an assignment and wait for bids. Tutors find assignments and post the amount for which they are willing to help complete the assignment. The Student selects the most attractive offer, and the selected Tutor completes the project by the specified deadline. Both users then rate each other for the quality of work received or given. Payment for the work is in the form of deposited funds. These funds are transferred to the Tutor when the Student has accepted the Tutors's work. The Tutor may then withdraw the funds or use them to post his or her own assignments.

Edited by Cap'n Refsmmat
that's better.

Definitely not. Homework is to help you learn. Basically, you are paying to worsen your education, and doing so unethically. I would recommend a study group: you get the benefits of help if you need it, and instead of paying money to random people, you also make friends. It's also superior as they frequently help you learn how to solve the problem rather than just do it for you.

Also, delete the link; it looks spammy. When you visit a forum for the first time, you would do well to avoid putting in a link to anything commercial. And welcome to SFN.

Definitely not. Homework is to help you learn. Basically, you are paying to worsen your education, and doing so unethically. I would recommend a study group: you get the benefits of help if you need it, and instead of paying money to random people, you also make friends. It's also superior as they frequently help you learn how to solve the problem rather than just do it for you.

Also, delete the link; it looks spammy. When you visit a forum for the first time, you would do well to avoid putting in a link to anything commercial. And welcome to SFN.

That would be because it is spam. Someone is getting crafty. This is the second "online tutor" post recently, complete with links.

I am not spam! It's an honest question.

I know, but it looks kind of like spam, though I could tell the difference. Now that you replied, others also know you aren't a spammer. Still, the link is gone. No need to support that site by linking to it, we are all smart enough to find it should we want to.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Also, if by school you mean college, getting caught at this could lead to your expulsion from college. Academic integrity is extremely important. If you want to pursue a higher education or a research job, this sort of thing can stain you for life.

I think several reasons for "no" are rather obvious, ranging from the rather general rejection of cheating over conflict with the idea behind giving and doing homework the to the fact that ultimately no one really wants to have a computer, car, artificial hip, ... created by incompetent engineers/physicians/... .

But for some reason you say you're not sure what to think of it morally. What do you think would speak for having your homework done by someone else?

Why would you pay someone else so that you can be less educated?

In my world, I pay to be receive education, not to avoid it.

I can only think of 2 reasons to use such a cheat:

1. You honestly tried hard to do the homework, but you can't. And failure is not an option. Then maybe, for once, you can consider this.

2. You are sure that within the very near future you will drop the subject of the homework anyway, and you will never ever need it again. This does not go for all the topics at highschool - you will need them all one day - and therefore you must study them all... including music, French (or any other language), and all the other stupid courses you get.

In my university, the quality of the education has been dropping steadily for 20 years and now there are so much ridiculous subjects - outdated, unrelated to the specialty - for example - our lector in Materials Science has been reading the same lectures as before I was born...

I mean, yeah - most of the basic data in this particular subject has not changed ever since (we are talking about iron/carbon alloys, different methods of metalurgic treatment), but the fact that he is unwilling to change anything, the fact that he dislikes modern information technology (I quote "You young people think you can find anything in the Internet"), and on top of that - his exam is passed by basicly repeating encyclopedic facts and mimicking the exact same pretty pictures that he is drawing in lectures...

Well, I don't have any motivation in wasting my time for that. :-(

And when I see half of my collegues cheating, what kind of moral reasoning will keep me from doing that myself?

OOO the morality of cheating!

This question plagued me back in high school, especially on my math homework from the local math Nazi.

I never cheated.. once.. ever. Mainly because i found the subjects i studied interesting and enthralling. however there came a point (in math) where i only needed to do a problem a total of 3 or 5 ways depending on the type of equation it was. i would need to do it for a negative,positive,null, infinite, and undefined and i would memorize the whole process for any numbers. i could easily get 100% on the tests.. and so on.. unfortunately our math teacher thought it was imperative that we spend 2 to 4 hrs on homework every night.. so she assigned around 40-60 problems every night. This did not bode well for me due to the fact that i also worked part time at the local McDonalds(Mc'Shits in my book) and did not have the time to go around doing 3 hrs worth of homework. i also had other subjects i had homework in.

Now, i actually never cheated, like i said, even in math. however i ended up only doing 3 or 5 problems on the HW, and thats it.. ended up i managed a 70% overall in the class even though all my tests were 100's. i also did most of my homework.. including essays and such, during lunch break. imo Collegiate European history, physics, chem. were ez. i hated English tho.

If half your collegues are cheating, perhaps if you got them all together to complain you could get something done.

Most of them just care for the diploma and have no desire for learning...

The students' representitive body - The Student Council are far too busy to organize parties and go on vacations with university money, so it's a sad situation. Nobody thinks that the status quo can be changed, nobody tries... The university is paid by the government per student, so their only interest is in having more and more students.