So much for the "Reset Button"...

jryan

Before I start linking articles I want to point out that I in no way endorse the Russian conclusions on the whole incident... but I do think that the Russian response should be a clear lesson to Sec. of State Clinton, and to Obama, that cutesy "reset buttons" simply don't work.

Part one of this story is a recent story that is gaining notice internationally (yet not domestically) that a group of CIA funded Afghan militia murdered Afghan school children. Whether this is actually true or not I can't say, but the UN and President Karzai seem convinced that it happened.

That alone means it should be news worthy.

Now enter the second part of this story... driven by a Russian Intelligence leak. According to the Russians, Obama ordered the immediate execution of the CIA militia thought responsible for the slaughter.

Now, I don't believe the Russian story for a hot minute.. but it is a good example of what "Reset Button" Diplomacy will get you in this world. This is what Obama likes to call "A teachable moment". I hope he learns...

Edited by jryan

I don't get it. What lesson?

Also, any legitimate news sources for any of this? I'm not familiar with either of the sites you linked to, but it appears the first is owned by the government of Iran, and the second is a conspiracy theorist site.

The first story, as I said, is hard to find online, but after a few permutations of the search criteria I located the following two:

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/12/30-5

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34644227/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

The second story is reprinted in numerous locations, but is not running on any major news sources I can find... which wasn't really my point. As I said, I don't believe the Russian report. I do, however, believe that a Russian report exists that is fueling this sub-story.

For example it has been picked up here, and numerous other "alternative" sites are running it.

Google Search

But if there was such a leak, wouldn't that be newsworthy enough to be covered by non-"alternative" sources?

But assuming, for some reason, the Russians do want conspiracy theorists to believe that Obama is ordering the executions of rogue CIA agents, what lesson do you think can be derived from that?

I've already stated the lesson to be learned in my first post: That goofy "Reset Button" diplomacy does not work... but to add to that, the numerous concession that the US has made to Russia in the last year have had little effect on the fact that Russia and Putin still hate the US and don't mind spreading rumors about the bloodthirsty Americans.

Hmmm, sorry Russians (sort of)... turns out that the second part of the story was indeed a hoax by someone by the name of David Booth who has been writing under the guise of "Sorcha Faal", a Russian academic, for a few years.

y original source that got me looking in the first place was actually referencing the voluminous predator strikes on terrorist suspects in Afghanistan. The first search brought up the CIA/Russia report.

So ignore the second part of this story. The Russians are innocent.. this time. :D

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
You're going to have to be more specific, I think. I don't even understand what motive the Russians are supposed to have in this, or how it demonstrates that the U.S. should be less cooperative with Russia.

Well, there is a longer argument there regarding the Afghan pipelines and Russia's energy domination in the region, but it has always been in Russia's best interest to damage US relations in the region and maintain good standing with the local rulers.

I guess the Sorcha Faal story resonated with me as it would not be out of Russian character to engage in such propaganda.

There was a big story reported (week or so ago), that died quickly, about some US Military people being around a girls school, that was attacked by the Talaban, killing several students. Could this be what your talking about....They were not involved in the attack and the attack was on the school, Muslim girls are not to be educated as far as the Taliban is concerned.