Why does speed time slow down when you go fast then the speed of light

Guest yamum

The speed of light can not be the speed of time because time is just motion of matter in space and motion of matter is different(relative)all over the universe. if you were traveling at a high rate of speed close to the speed of light you would actually be getting really close to catching up to a light beam although you would not notice it because all of the speed that you gained would have also slowed all of your atoms down as well . you will always measure the speed of light the same even if your almost going as fast as it.

No you would not be catching up with the light beam, if you caught up with the light beam that would imply the relative speed you measure of light is no longer the speed of light, which it always is no matter what inertial frame you measure from. Time is it's own dimension, independent from spacial dimensions, but it always seems to be going forward, and we measure this "going forward" by our relative change in positions and the rate at which they happen, such as a pendulum going back and forth, which is sort of a paradox. If time and position are not dependent on each other, why is it that they seem to be connected? They both constitute a very real topological surface that is the fabric of space but just because I move in the x direction in no way means I have to be moving in the y direction or the z direction. As such, this is not a normal surface, we can't physically comprehend what it actually looks like, all we can do is simply models, such as saying one dimension mathematically equals three spacial coordinates via substituting variables and coordinates which another axis represents time. I think that you can simply all of space as existing as one line, and simplifying all of time as one line on a Cartesian plane, and therefore if you move along the axis of time, you are not necessarily moving along the axis of space in any way, which is why time itself may always have its own sort of "frame of reference", or how coordinates change based on the relative view of the time axis. To time itself, it is not flowing at the speed of light, in fact if you take (change in time)/(change in time) you just get the number 1, but if the fabric of space-time is all one thing, how is it that different objects measure different times? It must be because of localized changes in the fabric of space time, such as rotations of coordinate systems or contracting of space found in gravitational wells or in lorentz transformations but this would seem to suggest each object spatially has it's own interpretation of time regardless of time not necessarily having to depend on spacial coordinates. It's all very confusing. Kudos to Einstein for making any sense out of it.

Edited by SamBridge

I think I get what you are thinking. I picture it this way. The ultimate speed of light would have to be found at a place where atoms of matter move the slowest in the universe.

the place with the weakest gravitational field.in other words , a sun in the furthest orbit of its galaxy that is traveling around the weakest not very dense center of a galaxy in the universe. If you took an atomic clock which operates by vibrating an atom 9 billion times by hitting it with a microwave(the definition of one second ) to this place .This would be the fastest 9 billion vibration (one second ) in the universe. At this place you would still measure light speed as you would any where in the universe but this frame of reference would be the fastest second in the universe.

their is a speed limit to light. its just that matter will always slow down in direct proportion to light.

I think I get what you are thinking. I picture it this way. The ultimate speed of light would have to be found at a place where atoms of matter move the slowest in the universe.

Sort of, there's kind of an explanation in a way for why it happens which is that your relative coordinate system of objects you observe rotates 4 dimensionally as you travel faster in such a way that the relative distance you measure and the time of your clock change in a way to always keep light constant, called the Lorentz Transformation,

Edited by SamBridge