Mathematics suggestion

Primarygun

Erm, calculus involves a lot of things, but mainly derivatives of functions and integrals, leading to formulae for volumes, areas, rates of change, and a lot more besides. The concept of the limit is also pretty important in lots of areas of physics.

Yes, if you want to get stuck into quantum mechanics then you need to have a very solid grounding in physics before you even think about it.

That being said, the mathematics isn't all that difficult in the introductory stages, just tedious to work through at times.

Probably calculus is the most scientifically used area of mathematics.

I thought statistics was the most used area of mathematics.

Would you suggest to me?

I remember reading parts of a three volume series of books that contained articles, letters, etc. of many famous mathematicians about their ideas, notions and conclusions of certain areas in mathematics. I particularly remember one about B. Russell describing what numbers are. I don't recall what the series is called though, but it's very good. All I remeber is that it's three volumes long, the books have a blue cover and are rather old.

Yes' date=' if you want to get stuck into quantum mechanics then you need to have a very solid grounding in physics before you even think about it.

[/quote']

I'm going to disagree here. The ideas of quantum mechanics are so "strange" that all of what one learns in classical physics is basically thrown out the window. But I guess if you're going to study quantum field theory, then having a good background in classical field theory is a must.