Mind Challange - any suggestions?

kyrill

Hi,

I'm volunteering for Camp Quest and this year our theme is "The Mind" but I can't come up with a challenge for the week. The kids will be getting into groups and working on the challenge throughout the week and need to have something to show for it at the end of the week (some kind of presentation to the rest of the camp). This will be happening alongside talks and workshops about neuroscience, philosophy of mind an psychology so they should have access to some broad knowledge to base their challenge projects on.

• It needs to be simple

• It needs to involve lots of different types of skills (some people doing arts and crafts, some people doing drama or researching the science or doing some experiments etc)

• It needs to be viable without access to the internet or a computer

• It needs to have something to do with the mind / the brain

Last year our theme was "Evolution" and for the challenge we gave them out random geometric shapes which they had to arrange into an animal in their groups. Then when they created their animal, they made an environment for it and we gave them an event or adaptational pressure that would alter life in their environment (on their planet) - they then redesigned their animals to adapt to the new conditions. Some kids used drama to pretend to be animals on the planet, some painted the habitat in watercolours, some made collages, some wrote poems about the animal, some thought a lot about the biology and gave a scientific report. It was amazing and I'd hate to let the kids down this year.

Any ideas?

Thank You!!

Kyrill