Geomagnetics/magnetics

Gant

I think tycho is right and that magnetic fields created by electromagnetic forces is like all other forces and it has infinite reach. But like gravity, the effects of a magnetic field become smaller and smaller as you get farther away until its pretty much inconsequential.

Then,,,lemme go out on a limb,,,if the earths geomagnetic field is no different than a magnets magnetic field,,,then it is theoretically possible to generate a magnetic field on a probe to help push itself away from the Earth,,or is this a TOTALLY different type of field?

I think i hear that limb breaking,,lol

• 6 years later...

Earth's magnetic field is confused, w/ very poor alignement and fluid [no pun intended] in vector and amplitude. Magnetic waves come from aligned electron movement [orbital or atom to atom flow], no matter the source. Once emitted it should be infinite. To the propulsion question, at the north magnetic pole would a magnetic "north down" pole weight be lighter than in the "south down position? How much? Field strength and distance? Tecvia