Golden ratio discovered in a quantum world

bascule

Want to hear strings in golden ratio?

http://www.ist.rit.edu/~jab/Fibo98/PGA-1.mp3

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

what i liked is this:

"Prof. Tennant remarks on the perfect harmony found in quantum uncertainty instead of disorder. "Such discoveries are leading physicists to speculate that the quantum, atomic scale world may have its own underlying order. Similar surprises may await researchers in other materials in the quantum critical state."

For me it is not a surprise. It is a relief.

http://www.physorg.com/news182095224.html

Can't say I really understand the article, but I'm a fan of the golden ratio. Apparently some quantum mechanical property resonates at intervals of phi?

From your link...

"
It reflects a beautiful property of the quantum system - a hidden symmetry. Actually quite a special one called E8 by mathematicians...

Which by a funny coincidence, just the other day I happened to read about the detection of E8 in nature on that same website.

(And, I've the feeling ajb probably would like it)

'Most beautiful' math structure appears in lab for first time

Mathematicians discovered a complex 248-dimensional symmetry called E8 in the late 1800s.

Now, physicists have detected the signature of E8 in a very different realm – experiments on super-chilled crystals.

Not sure if the golden ratio is simply a lesser part of E8, or what. But to just model E8 seems to have needed an incredibly vast calculation, as you'll find in the text below. Also imagine how if the golden ratio's only a minor part of E8, the rest of it might eventually influence architecture to create a "golden metropolis" :) Possibly on an interplanetary scale.

Mathematicians Map E8

Mathematicians have mapped the inner workings of one of the most complicated structures ever studied: the object known as
the exceptional Lie group E8
. This achievement is significant both as an advance in basic knowledge and because of the many connections between E8 and other areas, including string theory and geometry. The magnitude of the calculation is staggering: the answer, if written out in tiny print, would cover an area the size of Manhattan

Even after we understood the underlying mathematics it still took more than two years to implement it on a computer." And then there came the problem of finding a computer large enough to do the calculation.

For another year, the team worked to make the calculation more efficient, so that it might fit on existing supercomputers, but it remained just beyond the capacity of the hardware available to them

Related...

Is mathematical pattern the theory of everything?

By analysing the most elegant and intricate pattern known to mathematics, Lisi has uncovered a relationship underlying all the universe's particles and forces, including gravity - or so he hopes.

What Lisi had realised was that if he could find a way to place the various elementary particles and forces on E8's 248 points, it might explain, for example, how the forces make particles decay, as seen in particle accelerators.

The crucial test of Lisi's work will come only when he has made testable predictions. Lisi himself accepts this, saying that although his theory is beautiful to him, "nature may disagree". To fill E8 entirely will require more than 20 new particles not envisaged by the standard model.

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts on the matter is....does the matter that makes up the universe (dark matter/energy included), behave as a fractal?

This would explain a lot of the natural objects we see that have fractal appearances. (a nautilus shell, broccoli, ferns, etc.)

In this case, this might suggest that there is a degree of similarity from the quantum level, to the microscopic world, all the way to macroscopic objects, and then to the size of the known universe. There may be somewhat of a pattern connection.

• 4 weeks later...

For the historical record I would like to point out that for almost two decades M.S. El Naschie tried to point out the fundamental role played by the golden mean. In this connection he developed a transfinite exceptional Lie symmetry groups hierarchy. The golden mean is inert to E8. M.S. El Naschie added fuzziness to this and arrived at an exact theory for high energy particle physics. A paper which summarizes these results may be found in Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, 36, 2008, p. 1-17 and called High energy physics and the standard model from the exceptional Lie groups.