oh please give me advice on sulfur with black powder

Guest marker227

Guest marker227

I am going to make a smoke bomb.

It goes like this.

60/50 ratio.

Black powder with sulfur powder. I have both. I am going to use like 3 grams of powder and 4 grams of sulfur. In a cup or something. It said the powder will burn off the sulfur and make a white smoke. Is this true? I don't want it to explode. I am going to start it by inserting a hot red wire.

no it`s not altogether true, it`s make sulpher dioxide, and that`s colorless, it`s also very toxic!!!

why don`t you finely cut up some ping pong balls and add that to your BP instead, it`s a MUCH better result :))

Guest marker227

I found that out to.. Thank you. Are there any ways I can use chemicals to make smoke like the smoke bombs you can buy from a army store?

sure there is and better if you`re not to fussy about smell :)

using BP isn`t the way I`de go anyway, it burns too fast for a start, use an NC based powder either single or double based type, dissolve it in acetone and add sawdust, cast that into a cardboard tube then stick in a 10 sec visco fuse and let it dry in the sunshine for a couple of days.

the result will be a solid tube with a regular burn rate, not too fast and CLOUDS of smoke! as well as being mostly harmless (no more than sitting round a smokey campfire).

a 100g grain will fill a 20x20` room in seconds :)

• 2 weeks later...

this is from memory but if youve seen the anarchists cookbook it shows a method involving boiling bleach. but ill get back to you on that one. is it cheaper to produce them or just buy them from a shop? cos i havent heard of Pyrodex

Pyrodex is the powder used to reload bullets or muzel loader guns, no one usess black powder anymore because it`s corrosive and shities up the barrel and mechanisms, also kicks out loads of smoke :(

Pyrodex is a BP substitute. any modern bullet or shell will contain a NC based powder. Pyrodex is a brand name btw and although it contains no NC, it WILL work just as well :)

here: http://www.hodgdon.com/pyrodex/

also boiling bleach will give you a crappy version of Sodium Chlorate, ya may as well just Buy the stuff! :)

• 2 weeks later...

if you want to make smoke bombs the easy way is

KNO3 and icing sugar

60 : 40

but the trick to making it realy good is to melt the two together

low temp, in the end it should look like caramel then stick the fuse in before it hardens. I make a lot and form it in an Ice cube tray.

or 4oz rocket tubes.

Phreak

be carfull with "candy rocket" mix! unless you`re REALLY experienced and take all safety precautions, it can and often does with learners, catch fire in the pan! even with experienced makers it happens on occasion. and it MUST be done outdoors for this reason!

be carfull with "candy rocket" mix! unless you`re REALLY experienced and take all safety precautions, it can and often does with learners, catch fire in the pan! even with experienced makers it happens on occasion. and it MUST be done outdoors for this reason!

uh oh. i guess i had a close call a few years ago before i had much chem knowledge. thank my lucky stars.

• 2 weeks later...

correct, never ever put the pan on a high setting...medium is the absolute limit, even if it takes a bit long, its better than losing your skin. also, i though something like red iron oxide could be added which would make the mixture solidify, correct me if im wrong, i just use the powder for model rockets.

• 5 months later...

dissolve it in boiling water, then soak some news paper in it, or even bran flakes or corn flakes and let it dry.

it`ll kick out LOADS of smoke!

esp if you add a fine light spray of motor oil on it afterwards :)

dissolve it in boiling water' date=' then soak some news paper in it, or even bran flakes or corn flakes and let it dry.

it`ll kick out LOADS of smoke!

esp if you add a fine light spray of motor oil on it afterwards :)[/quote']

The problem is that the area that I live in has a rather high humidity. Guess I just make a makeshift airing cupboard and dry it in it. Thanks for your suggestion.