How to test Potassium Chlorate for purity

naturoils

Hi! I am new to this forum.

I need some help on this from you folks.

In future some time soon I may have to check out Potassium Chlorate for purity.This will be done before I send this for analysis to a proper lab.

I require to put together a kit to test KCLO3.

Something not too elaborate and at the same time having some accuracy,so that I can decide and send it for further test in a Lab.

Any suggestions ?

melting point is usually a good indicator of purity. potassium chlorate decomposes very shortly after melting so don't be surprised to see a lot of oxygen bubbles coming off.

You could also try this: http://www.springerlink.com/content/p10q88m65t3p6644/

Although that's only specific for chlorate, so it wouldn't indicate, for instance, if you had sodium chlorate present.

• 4 weeks later...

Assuming your making your own KCLO3, from Potassium chloride, You can use Indigo-Carmine to see if you have Clorate. After about 3-4 days of cell operation If you do Which you will, Harvest your KCLO3 and filter out the remaining potassium Cloride, with ICE Water. As far as 100% purity, I really don't think it matters,But if your after KCLO4 (IT DOES!!)

Thankyou LUCKY