Find the derivative

CrazCo

Think of it this way:

[math]y=cos^2[\frac{v(x)}{u(x)}][/math]

Where

[math]v(x)=1-\sqrt{x}[/math]

[math]u(x)=1+\sqrt{x}[/math]

And so, now doing the chain-rule should be easier. Here's the start (continue on your own):

[math]\frac{dy}{dx}=-2cos(\frac{v(x)}{u(x)})sin(\frac{v(x)}{u(x)})\big( \frac{\frac{dv}{dx}u(x) + \frac{du}{dx}v(x)}{u(x)^2} \big)[/math]

And so now you need to figure out what du/dx and dv/dx are (the derivatives of the parts of the fraction) and fill in the gaps, more or less.

Now, I believe I did it right, but it's 1:20am here, so I might've had some mistakes.. make sure you go over everything. The point of my suggestion is more for order's sake -- when you make your exercise organized, it's much easier to solve and much less scary.

by the way, you can use "styled" math by using [math]y=[/math] tags.

That is almost what I got to Mooey, however, I think it should be:

[math]

\frac{dy}{dx}=-2cos(\frac{v(x)}{u(x)})sin(\frac{v(x)}{u(x)})\big( \frac{\frac{dv}{dx}u(x) -\frac{du}{dx}v(x)}{u(x)^2} \big)

[/math]

I think that is what he got, however it is somewhat hard to tell. If your answer still isn't write they might be giving a simplified answers. So you might want to remove any complex fractions and simplify any trigonometric identities, hint hint double angle identities.

Edited by DJBruce
corrected Tex.