Looking for some software

insane_alien

I'm not sure what type of software this would come under or even if it exists(i suspect that it would either be a content management system or a database but honestly i haven't got a scooby).

what i want it to be able to do is manage files. i have a massive folder chock full of PDFs word documents, spreadsheets etc etc. from uni.

i want to get hese organised so i have a nice little reference if i need it.

so if i can insert the file into this program along with some extra data(what class it was for, some keywords for searchability and so on) and maybe have it all contained within the one file for easy backing up.

oh, and linux compatability would be excellent.

Sounds like you want a "document indexing" or "document management system" (DMS). There are many commercial offerings, (most are targeted to enterprise level support), but quite a few open source alternatives exist.

I briefly looked into this subject for a friend, but this is about as far as I got before they pulled the plug on the idea. (Their needs required scanning several thousand pages of paper documents.)

thanks Pantaz seems to be almost exactly what i'm looking for. pity there isn't one in my distros repository, but still, i'll go try them out.

decided to go with OpenKM. seems pretty solid so far(though i'm having some difficulties adding a new user) probably just unfamiliarity there. also seems to be more suited to a server-client situation rather than a local app(but less so than others)