Why are cats associated with females?

BlackSabb

Hi everyone. I was just wondering why cats are strongly associated with females? I ask this because as a guy that loves cats, I was told by a woman once that I was "weird".

I'm grateful I didn't tell her of my crossdressing! (just kidding).

I've noticed in advertising too that cats are generally associated with girls/women. The majority of cat food commercials have women whilst dog food commericals have men. I was intrigued once when I saw a women once wearing stockings that had a cat motif around the ankles. I mean, you wouldn't put a German shepherd motif around the feet of stockings for a woman to wear, now would you? :)

Think of superheroes. Only a woman is portrayed as a cat (catwoman funnily enough). I saw a commerical once encouraging people to adopt cats. The voice of was a girl that said that how she was delighted that her brother was so "gentle" around the cat. As opposed to his homicidal tendencies when he was romping with the doberman (kidding).

Is it because cats are graceful in their movements that they are associated with females? Or some other reason? Because even though I have 3, I can tell you they're not always "graceful". Sure, they purr and sit in your lap and sleep on top of your bed curled up and look all cute and slinky. But they are also ferocious, they bite, they hiss, they cough up fur balls (nasty stuff), their poo smells frigging awful. Their retractable claws are anything but feminine and their fangs would make a goth proud.

So what's with this female association with cats? Think of the traditional image too of the witch with a black cat.

P.S. I thought I might get in contact with a hosiery company and suggest that they put this cat motif on stockings. What do you all think?

angry-cat.jpg

The association between women and cats probably has more to do with there mutual psychological attitudes. In summing up cats in your post, you also summed up certain feminine traits...

"They purr and sit in your lap and sleep on top of your bed curled up and look all cute and slinky. But they are also ferocious, they bite, they hiss, they cough up fur balls (nasty stuff), their poo smells frigging awful."

I can think of a few women like this.

"They purr and sit in your lap and sleep on top of your bed curled up and look all cute and slinky. But they are also ferocious, they bite, they hiss, they cough up fur balls (nasty stuff), their poo smells frigging awful."

I can think of a few women like this.

Hahahaha....nice one! :)