Can anyone translate into latin here?

Freeman

I am just curious if anyone could translate into latin...

I know someone who is pretty good with latin

If you want, give me a brief sample of what you want translated

(no promises! but something might work out)

BTW how are you at translating Latin into English?

sorry, i do science / computers / electronics,

ever since an early age languages have been a no-no

i could probably find some one who could though...

what do u want translated? is it long?

there might be a website which does it for you!

there are websites which translate english --> french / spanish

I wanted to know how would one translate this quote from Goëthe, more specifically Faust: "Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!"

BTW, I wanted to get a good latin-english dictionary. One that is cheap, preferably. Does anyone know a site that sells good ones?

I wanted to know how would one translate this quote from Goëthe' date=' more specifically [i']Faust[/i]: "Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!"

BTW, I wanted to get a good latin-english dictionary. One that is cheap, preferably. Does anyone know a site that sells good ones?

Was immer du tun kannst oder träumst es zu können, fang damit an! Mut hat Genie, Kraft und Zauber in sich.

(gefunden von Gerhard Bendig)

-------end quote-----

Freeman, this is from a German famous quotations site:

http://www.daszitat.de/Autoren/G/goethe02.html

Notice that it does not say the quote is from the actual play Faust!

It says the quote was found (perhaps in a letter or in some of G's papers)

by a person named Gerhard Bendig.

Be careful about attributing it to the play unless you can learn the act or scene where it occurs.

Freeman, also think about the force of the original words which have

Goethe's spirit more alive in them. The English translation is a bit slack----I fear the Latin will come out even less energetic. this is not the fault of English and Latin which are wonderful languages, but something that happens often in translation

german is a wonderful language which, just as much as Latin, should never die.

I would take the motto direct in German and use it proudly

• 7 months later...
Guest Narinder

Hi there

I wanted to post this as a new post, however I wasn't sure how to. So I just thought I'd just ask you. I was wondering if you could translate that in english for me.

thank you for your help.

Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um

Thanks

Narinder

... translate that in english for me.

Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um

Thanks

Narinder

are you sure it is not something unpleasant? an insult, or maybe a fake?

where does it come from and what language is it, if you know please.

maybe it is just a pretend language and does not mean anything.

On google it says "Gladiator Theme"

and "Now we are free"

It has one Hebrew word "shalom" that I recognize

but I cannot be sure that the whole thing is real Hebrew because I dont know the language

Anol shalom

Anol sheh lay konnud de ne um (shaddai)

Flavum

Nom de leesh

Ham de nam um das

La um de

Flavne...

We de ze zu bu

We de sooo a ru

Un va-a pesh a lay

Un vi-I bee

Un da la pech ni sa

(Aaahh)

Un di-I lay na day

Un ma la pech a nay

Mee di nu ku

x4

La la da pa da le na da na

Ve va da pa da le na la dumda

Anol shalom

Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um.

Flavum.

Flavum.

M-ai shondol-lee

Flavu... (Live on...)

Lof flesh lay

Nof ne

Nom de lis

Ham de num um dass

La um de

Flavne...

Flay

Shom de nomm

Ma-lun des

Dwondi.

Dwwoondi

Alas sharum du koos

Shaley koot-tum.

Guest Narinder

Thank you for the translation. I was woindering if anyone knew about any website which translates Latin or Hebrew to English.

Thanks again

Narinder.

• 2 months later...
Guest McMaas

Hi,

I wanted to have a saying that I often use in forum signatures translated to Latin, to make it look and sound more interesting. The saying is:

"Don't use a canon to kill a mosquito"

the idea behind it, of course, is not to overdo things, not to exaggerate. Using some sites and a translation program for Latin to English I have come to the following:

"non utere ballista necare scarabi"

As, those of you with knowledge of Latin, may see, I've replaced canon with ballista and mosquito with scarab, to keep things in temporal and lingual context. I would like to know if I've come close to a proper translation of the saying and if and how it could be improved.

Regards,

M. Maas

Using some sites and a translation program for Latin to English I have come to the following:

"non utere ballista necare scarabi"

Do not use an infinitive to indicate a purpose. Instead, employ a purpose clause by using, ut + subjunctive, which would literally translate into, "do not use a missile in order to kill a scarab."

However, I must ask you, what is "scarabi?" Whatever the noun, it must be an accusative and scarabi must be something, but a known Latin word or an accusative, it is not.

can anyone translate the chant of the Beneverian monks from monty pythons 'the holy grail' for me?

the chant is "pie ei dominae. dona eis requiem" (i have a feeling iv spelt it phonetically rather than correctly).

the best i can do with my limited grasp of latin is

"worshipful of jesus, grant this person eternal rest"

kindof dissapointing for a monty python, i was expecting something like

"hey we are monks, doing the funky chicken"

oh, and is 'dracosbane' curse of the dragons? if so, is it a cuse originating from dragons, a curse upon dragons, or is it unclear?

cheers

Guest McMaas
Do not use an infinitive to indicate a purpose. Instead' date=' employ a purpose clause by using, ut + subjunctive, which would literally translate into, "do not use a missile in order to kill a scarab."

However, I must ask you, what is "scarabi?" Whatever the noun, it must be an accusative and scarabi must be something, but a known Latin word or an accusative, it is not.[/quote']

Scarabi is what the Latin translation program I downloaded, indicates as the word for scarab. My knowledge of Latin is pretty much limited to the standard Roman sayings like Vini, Vidi, Vici and Carpe Diem and such, so I went on the info the software gave me :confused: . If you could give me the correct word for Scarab, or perhaps the Latin word for Insect or something, I'd be most grateful. Also, could you tell me which subjunctive you have in mind to combine with ut, as said, my Latin's abysmal at best.

Guest McMaas
can anyone translate the chant of the Beneverian monks from monty pythons 'the holy grail' for me?

the chant is "pie ei dominae. dona eis requiem" (i have a feeling iv spelt it phonetically rather than correctly).

the best i can do with my limited grasp of latin is

"worshipful of jesus' date=' grant this person eternal rest"

kindof dissapointing for a monty python, i was expecting something like

"hey we are monks, doing the funky chicken"

oh, and is 'dracosbane' curse of the dragons? if so, is it a cuse originating from dragons, a curse upon dragons, or is it unclear?

cheers[/quote']

I entered the chant into my translation program, which I do have some doubts about, but with the fact that it came from a Monty Python movie in mind, a little imagination could go a long way on this...

pie ei dominae.

Conscientious woe the ladies.

dona eis requiem

Present to them the rest

My best guess would be something like "Give us the ladies and leave them the rest." :D

Of course, it's been a while since I last saw the movie, so I'm not sure of the context of this chant.

Oh, please mind the fact that in the previous reply, I presented another question for the linguists :)