Mummification

Gampin

I think it has to do with the dryness' date=' and the decay of it all over time.

If you have ever seen old tree limbs burried deep under ground (4 feet :)), they turn a dark color, and when further compacted under more pressure, they become coal.[/quote']

You're right. There has to be no moisture in the tomb at all, otherwise it will start to decompose as oppose to mummify.

A good case in point is that cemetery in Mexico, which has produced lots of modern age mummies, but not all those who reside there turn into a mummy.

I thought it was the Iron in our red blood cells that created that dark color, I know all efforts are taken to drain as much blood as possible, but alot will still remain in the tissues, and we all know dried blood is alot darker.

that`s my theory :)

Does it not have something to do with tannins (as is tanning hides) present in the natron salts/oils etc. used in the process. I think that's probably the case with the peat bog preserved bodies that we have here in Europe. Anyway, traditional Egyptian mummies would have had dark skin when they were alive (as Egyptians do today) anyway wouldn't they, as would Incas?

I think you right. The Egyptian mummies are dark because of a resin applied to the skin, but from what I've seen of other mummified corpses the skin darkens anyway. It could well be tannis, or maybe the natural colour of skin once cell structure degrades and moisture is lost. However, I suspect the peat bog mummies may be a little discoloured by leaching.

I remember seeing pictures of exhumed member of the Franklin Expedition, and the skin was still light after over 100 years. Those are odd pictures.