Meteorology/Geographic Question?

Green Xenon

Hi:

I'm looking for a part of the United States of America which best fits all of the following:

1. Least amount of wind

2. Furthest from the sea

3. Coldest temperature

4. Most humidity and water

5. Most flatland -- i.e. little or no mountain or hill.

Which part of USA most closely fits my dream? I'd like to live in this area.

Any assistance on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Green Xenon

Coldest temperature in winter? Or coldest on average? With a choice between a land climate and a sea climate, those are 2 very different things.

My initial guess is somewhere near the Great Lakes.

I find points 2 and 4 a bit conflicting. Why not live near the sea if you like lots of water and humidity?

Your dream area in the USA might also be called "Canada". But I never said that because if I did, the mounties would hunt me down and drown me in a barrel of maple syrup.

Coldest temperature in winter? Or coldest on average?

Coldest on average.

With a choice between a land climate and a sea climate, those are 2 very different things.

Land climate.

My initial guess is somewhere near the Great Lakes.

Ok. I'll hold that thought.

I find points 2 and 4 a bit conflicting. Why not live near the sea if you like lots of water and humidity?

I prefer calm freshwater over saltwater.

Your dream area in the USA might also be called "Canada". But I never said that because if I did, the mounties would hunt me down and drown me in a barrel of maple syrup.

LOL

I prefer calm freshwater over saltwater.

So, no rivers, no large lakes then? Just bring a bucket of water wherever you go, and you're fine then!

I hope the Americans will enter the conversation soon... but while they remain quiet, I just advise to check out Minnesota. It's a land climate, on the North side of the USA. It has lakes and either has or borders on the prairies/steppes. Should be relatively flat in some areas. Humidity is probably an issue (it's land climate - but I'm not sure).

I hope the Americans will enter the conversation soon...

I am an American, but haven't commented for several reasons. One of the reasons is that the requirements are contradictory. It has already been pointed out that the request for Humidity and Water conflicts with the request for greatest distance from the sea. I might suggest Michigan, except I'm not sure if the great lakes would be considered a sea by the original poster. There are other conflicts in the request as well.

I'd suggest Fargo, North Dakota. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo,_ND

From the article:

Fargo sits on the western bank of the Red River of the North in a very flat region known as the Red River Valley...Due to its location in the Great Plains and its distance from both mountains and oceans, the city has an extreme continental climate, and a USDA Plant Hardiness of Zone 4. The city is known for its long, cold and snowy winters. In sharp contrast summers are warm to hot, and often quite humid with frequent thunderstorms. Spring and autumn are short and highly variable seasons.

Rivers and lakes are fine as they are freshwater. I don't like sea.

You really need to think carefully regarding the great lakes. These are indeed freshwater, but at the same time they can be considered as seas as well. Oceangoing vessels routinely traverse these, and these boats have access to the open ocean via the St. Laurence seaway. Also, these lakes have measureable tides and are not always calm. In fact, there have been storms similar to tropical storms in these waters...see for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Lake_Huron_cyclone

Do you mind if I ask what it is you don't like about salt water? (It's fine if it's not rational - I have the opposite condition myself, feeling homesick and claustrophobic if I'm far from the ocean for more than a week or so, even though in my everyday life I very rarely see the water.)