Lou Dobbs on single-payer healthcare in Denmark

bascule

If a hospital says "we will charge a bit more, but use that to lower wait times and have better facilities" as a business model to target a specific demographic of people who can afford it and want that service over the bare bones then we could end up with a system where the disparity in health care is not unlike the disparity in under funded community colleges to that of a high caliber university.

As I understand it, the solution to this sort of problem is to provide a specific amount of coverage for each condition or type of operation regardless of who does it. If a doctor charges more than that, the patient can make up the difference, or go to a cheaper doctor. This allows a minimum coverage quality, while still allowing those who wish to pay more to get better quality. Also, since the patients are "in the loop" they actually care if they are receiving a bunch of treatment they don't need, whereas now they don't care so long as the insurance covers it.

As I understand it, the solution to this sort of problem is to provide a specific amount of coverage for each condition or type of operation regardless of who does it. If a doctor charges more than that, the patient can make up the difference, or go to a cheaper doctor. This allows a minimum coverage quality, while still allowing those who wish to pay more to get better quality. Also, since the patients are "in the loop" they actually care if they are receiving a bunch of treatment they don't need, whereas now they don't care so long as the insurance covers it.

That essentially boils down to the "voucher program" we have for public education and the option to redirect to a more expensive school and make up the difference. The fear is that the "minimum coverage quality" will end up so low that it fails to be adequate at all because not enough doctors (at least competent ones that can be hired by better clinics and hospitals) will voluntarily take jobs in the lower paying bracket that provide that minimum coverage.

bascule, I disagree that I misunderstood your post and I believe I have corrected your erroneous statement that if you need medical care you will get it under single-payer. I'm sorry you found that annoying but you drew this out by continuing to ask me questions (how can I not respond when you ask me a question?). I am ignoring your personal attacks.