Networks

can someone go over the basics of all the components i need for a network between 2, soon 3 computer sharing broadband, i dont really want an admin, so equal rights are ok, and i dont want a certain computer to be on to access the internet,

so what do i need,

&

does windows XP have a network wizard

&

does it matter that im linking XP with '98

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're best off getting a router (preferably with onboard intrusion detection and firewall) to distribute the connection between the PCs (like a hub would on a closed network). That will allow each PC to access both the net and each other.

Afaik XP has a networking wizard. I don't know what the issues are with XP <-> 98 connectivity but I'll bet there are plenty of help resources devoted to that on the Windows tech site.

ok, so i do i just plug the internet into the router? and then a network card to the computers and connect the computer [via network card] to the router via a network cable

watch it with wireless, people walking by can use it if they have a wireless reciever, you have to downlaod a special program to stop unathorized users [eg. people walking down the street with a laptop] using your internet.

i was watching a program about it recently, some guy walked down the street using internet from wireless networks in house's who didnt have this protection, i dont know what it is or where to get it from though, try searching google or something

When I get around to installing it on Friday when the new connection goes in, it'll be using 256-bit encryption with no public keys.

I don't have any problem with people getting a free wireless connection (like my next door neighbour for instance), but I'm not chancing network penetration.

does it matter that im linking XP with '98

Done it myself. No problem there. The only problem was that when we upgraded the 98 to XP we now can't send files up and down (but internet our internet, being piped off of one computer, does work). Before there was a "Shared Documents" folder, but now each computer has one and the two are not the same.

• 3 weeks later...

change of subject:

Routers:

im gonna get a broadband router, but the shop person said that i HAVE to have a 'master computer' which hosts the internet.....

is this true?

cant i have a router which allows computer to work on the internet without a host computer? [use the internet regardless of the other computres?]

just plug the internet into the router? and NO actuall host / master computer

here is a famous company's site who sells wireless network that I love most....

with manuals and drivers too :)

http://www.sitecom.com/index.php

5614, for your last post, just use a router that connects to the internet (you are right, connect the internet plug to the router), and while other computers connect to the router, therefore, there will be no master computer.

hope it helps

Albert

change of subject:

Routers:

im gonna get a broadband router' date=' but the shop person said that i HAVE to have a 'master computer' which hosts the internet.....

is this true?

cant i have a router which allows computer to work on the internet without a host computer? [use the internet regardless of the other computres?']

just plug the internet into the router? and NO actuall host / master computer

They are talking crap; you are right. That's THE POINT of having a router - as the name suggests it routes TCP/IP packets.

I recently bought a Sitecom WL-025 wireless router. It's very nice. It has taken over all the functions of the gateway PC that it replaced, including hardware firewall.

There's nothing I've heard of that can do that I'm afraid. I would recommend a router/modem/firewall all in one.

Alternatively you could setup a PC to act as a...

'master computer' which hosts the internet.....
;)

Sometimes stupid shop assistants are just ignorant of alternatives. He's probably only dealt with people with USB modems so his advice is correct to a point.

ok, i found a router with inbuit modem....

info: its the PT-3810: http://www.puretek.com.tw/product/adsl%20modem/adsl%20modem.htm

image: http://www.puretek.com.tw/product/adsl%20modem/dm/3808_E.jpg

but it only has one output, what output is it.... e.g. RJ45 or USB and also do i just use a hub if i want more than one computer?

do hubs accept RJ45?

• 1 month later...

i have had my network installed for a while,

the internet plugs into the router, and two computers are plugged into the router.

one computer is windows '98 the other XP

however they computers still can't "see" each other, any idea why?