Computer Animation programs

Cap'n Refsmmat

I was looking around to find something to do over the summer, when I came across the idea of learning how to do computer animations. I saw two classes, one for Flash and one for "Basic Director." I'd like to know which you think is better, and what each does over the other. Thanks in advance! :)

If you haven't done either before, you will find Flash quite similar to Basic Director. However due to the intentions behind each product the similarities will end very quickly, and Flash will be the one that actually still makes sense after the first hour.

Flash began as a simple vector animation tool and grew up into a full animation and application package. However essentially it's still only a means of combining SVG (scalable vector graphics) with interpreted scripts (ActionScript).

Director is Macromedia's attempt to put an adult face on Flash and try to make the product more appealing to "proper" programmers. It uses a complete language called Lingo which is an absolute nightmare for the beginner.

• 1 month later...
Guest tioung

I am thinking of doing a multimedia cd for my project.

It would be an educational one geared towrads 14-15 year olds( not 5-6 year olds) and would explain mathematics bogglers like negative numbers, subject of formulae etc.

Would flash be appropriate?

I could do with an animation for a video im making at the moment, like the StarWars titles, you know the one with the writing moving backwards. I have attempted this on paper and using a camera moving backwards, which suprisingly looks very affective on a low res camera, it requires large amounts of black paper, and my camera hand is not that steady.....

With regards to the hand-cam and paper, use black on white and invert the colours on your PC (assuming white paper is cheaper or easier to obtain).

With regards to Flash, use the tutorials in the Flash application itself. They are really quite good (Macromedia are great for writing tutorials, not that great for help files.)