My Theory About the Moon

CDizzle

Heres my theory about the moon. Keep in mind it's just a theory and maybe a stupid one. Ok the moon is kind of like a shield to Earth because of all the asteroids hit the moion all the time. Now if the moon wasn't there we would be would be getting hit with all the asteroids and maybe some we cant take and there would be millions of deaths. I know it may be stupid, but I was pondering it the other day. This is probably a stupid one, who knows?

Well if the moon was a part of the Earth before, then why does it have a core like the Earth? If it's just a chunk of rock that detached then went into Earths orbit then why does it have an atmosphere? What I think is that when the Universe was created and all the planets were forming and when they started to have gravitational pulls the moon was just a floating dwarf planet and had no system to pull it in. Though when it went by Earth it got caught in the gravitational pull and has been in our gravitational pull ever since.

True? Maybe not.

Discuss it.

First off, a little vocabulary lesson.

In science, a theory is the best you can get. it isn't a random guess but is built up of many many peices of evidence and testing.

what you have is a hypothesis, not a theory. this is an easy mistake to make as mass media calls even a random stab in the dark a theory.

the moon does not cath all the asteroids, quite a few hit the earth like tunguska, and the extinction of the dinosaurs.

the moon has a core like earth because it was molten when it formed out of the debris of the collision. this allowed heavier minerals to settle down to the center, just like how the core of the earth formed.

the moon doesn't and never has had a significant atmosphere. IIRC there's some metal vapour but it's extremely tenuous.

the 'moon is a captured planet' theory has been around for some centuries. it has fallen out of favour as we know the moon is moving away from us which would be highly unlikely for a gravitational capture, and besides that, its too big in relation to earth for gravitational capture.

Far more objects hit the Earth than the Moon. The difference is that the vast majority of them burn up or explode in the upper atmosphere. The Moon, on the other hand, basically has no atmosphere, so everything makes it to the surface.

Aren't we in danger of "accidentally" discovering some new material on the moon when we send ROVs? when this could just be a meteorite.

Actually, no...we wouldnt be so stupid to fall for just one or two of these lumps of suspicious ore. We'd have to find them consistently.. actually i've pretty much answered my own question. the lumps would just be laying on the surface and would obviously be foreign bodies...Durrrrr Hurrr hurrrr. :P

Another point is that when something hits the moon, the crater stays there *forever*, unless disrupted by another crater. It's a dead ball of rock, with no processes to erase the signs of damage.

In contrast, Earth has a tremendous amount of geological activity, erosion, and the effect of life itself. Craters quickly vanish, eroded away and buried. Even the 100+ miles-wide crater of the asteroid which supposedly killed the dinosaurs is now all but invisible.