Medical Textbooks

carol

It's my first year in medschool. and i need to some medical textbooks for my course.

I decided to just borrow from a cousin, who is already a doctor, because I'm saving money for my tuition.

These books are not the latest editions. Can I rely on them for references? How different is the 6th edition from the 9th edition? For example, Guyton's Medical Physiology.

• 4 weeks later...

In terms of reliability, it varies greatly based upon the textbook. I find it depends upon time frame, as eventually texts grow outdated due to further evidence, contrary to percieved fact, at the time it was published. I think that if anything you ought to examine the time frames between the published materials, and analyse it in regards to the content. If the time period is short, generally I find that a lot of the changes are more in terms revision of structure, and modification of the content in terms of what is percieved as prerequisite, what is considered necessary, and what is seen as superfluent or redundant, as well as making clarification of errors in the preceding addition. (the wonders of introductions and footnotes. This is of course also derivitive of the demands of the program, and the like.

If you want to be sure, you can always try to find the newer addition at your local public library (a wonderous, not to mention free resource). In terms of experience, I haven't seen the editions you've described, and sadly in that category have little aid to give. Anyhow, best of luck!

Edited by Theophrastus
An initially screwy paragraph structure

• 2 weeks later...

thanks. i tried that. it's a good thing also that my roommate bought a few new editions. harper's biochem 27th edition has improved illustrations and diagrams compared to the 23rd. aside from that nothing much has changed