electromagnetic submarine

Psilo

I've been told an electromagnetic submarine was made in the 1970's by a Professor and his students from a California university. There were no moving parts and the sub moved slowly.

I've done some searching and I haven't been able to find anything. Any information would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Well, here is the information you were seeking:

In the mid-1960s and electromagnetic submarine designed by Dr. Stuart Way, who was on leave from Westinghouse Research Laboratory, was successfully tested. It made use of the fact that electric and magnetic fields at right angles to each other produce a (Lorentz) force at right angles to both. The force pushes against the surrounding electromagnetically conducting fluid (seawater) which pushes back and moves the submarine. It is possible to envision an airborne analog in which seawater is replaced by ionized electrically conducting air, and conventional electromagnetic fields are produced by superconducting magnets which need little space, very little power and weight, and generate very high magnetic fields. Substantial research, much of it classified, has been done showing that a magnetoaerodynamic system would be capable of solving all the problems of high-speed flight by controlling lift, drag, heating, and sonic-boom production—all electromagnetically rather than mechanically or chemically. The resulting system would be symmetric, highly maneuverable, relatively silent, often have a glow around it, and be capable of sudden starts and stops. It could carry its own power supply or be charged up on board its mother ship in much the same manner as a golf cart which carries only a storage battery.

http://www.stantonfriedman.com/index.php?ptp=articles&fdt=2009.02.03

Sincerely,

yours truly

I've been told an electromagnetic submarine was made in the 1970's by a Professor and his students from a California university. There were no moving parts and the sub moved slowly.

I've done some searching and I haven't been able to find anything. Any information would be appreciated.

Well, here is the information you were seeking:

In the mid-1960s an electromagnetic submarine designed by Dr. Stuart Way, who was on leave from Westinghouse Research Laboratory, was successfully tested. It made use of the fact that electric and magnetic fields at right angles to each other produce a (Lorentz) force at right angles to both. The force pushes against the surrounding electromagnetically conducting fluid (seawater) which pushes back and moves the submarine. It is possible to envision an airborne analog in which seawater is replaced by ionized electrically conducting air, and conventional electromagnetic fields are produced by superconducting magnets which need little space, very little power and weight, and generate very high magnetic fields. Substantial research, much of it classified, has been done showing that a magnetoaerodynamic system would be capable of solving all the problems of high-speed flight by controlling lift, drag, heating, and sonic-boom production—all electromagnetically rather than mechanically or chemically. The resulting system would be symmetric, highly maneuverable, relatively silent, often have a glow around it, and be capable of sudden starts and stops. It could carry its own power supply or be charged up on board its mother ship in much the same manner as a golf cart which carries only a storage battery.

http://www.stantonfriedman.com/index.php?ptp=articles&fdt=2009.02.03

Sincerely,

yours truly

Watch this clip from "UFOs Are Real"

You will get to see the electromagnetic submarine in action. :)

Enjoy!