Building machines by using natural systems

Peron

DNA is replicated, into RNA. The RNA travels outside of the nucleus, and is read by a ribosomes, this ribosomes then builds a new protein chain. Protein's are built out of Amino acids, their are 20 different amino acids in the human body, when arranged properly they build a specific protein. This long line of protein then folds to form a protein machines, such as a ribosomes. Form is function, instead of software being inside the hardware, the hardware and software is one!

The ribosomes reads any RNA given to it, and then it translates that code into protein. By using ribosomes you could construct better machines that make our bodies better. For instance the protein in the muscle can be changed by writing a new set of DNA instructions and injecting it into the cell. The ribosomes then builds the protein, you can make weak muscles or strong, depending on the instructions of the DNA.

A protein machine could be designed, then the DNA printed, injected into a bacteria. In hours time you would have billions of these nanomachines.

Or a strand of DNA could be added to the fertilized, egg. When the baby would be born, their body's would naturally produce these protein machines. The protein machines would repair the body, and fight off viruses.

Engineering living adult humans is more difficult. But no doubt can be done.

It will be done by filling nanobubbles with amino acids, and ribosomes. The bubble then would be injected with RNA. These would be tiny nano factory's.

These could be injected into a person with a tumour. When the ribosomes would finish building the protein machines, a ultrasonic pulse would burst the bubble releasing the protein machines. The protein machines would destroy the cancer. Another ultrasonic pulse would destroy the protein machines.

Is this even possible? Of course what do you think your made out of!? Small protein machines that attack and kill viruses. Even, Viruses use host cells to replicate all the time. By injecting there RNA into the host cell, the host cell replicates it and builds new viruses.

Using natural systems that haven't failed us in millions of years, we could build better medical devices* and build better humans.

:)

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

For drug delivery, the protein machine would be a kind of collector. With a DNA trigger in front.

When the triger feels, lets say a insulin molecule, it grabs it, taking it to where the drug is needed.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/10/rna-based-logic-gates-compute-inside-cells.ars

Another, machine could use a DNA computer to locate, fat cells, that build up in the heart. Removing it. Simple cure for heart attacks.

A Little note on surgery, we hurt the body to fix the body.

Surgery is crude. Small protein robots could do a far better job at fixing scraps and wounds.

Lets say someone gets shot. the special protein machines can disassemble the bullet.

Then other protein seal the wound.

Another way to seal wounds, and this is more down to Earth. Is to use a bright infared beam to melt organic wax. The wax will act as a glue.

A Little note on surgery, we hurt the body to fix the body.

You know, that's a good point, but I think there's another distinction to surgery -- it's controlled. It's true that we technically hurt the body (we cut, sew, etc) but we do it in a controlled manner, where a wound is uncontrolled tear. That allows us to be *clean* and control the way the body fixes itself later.

That also connects to one of the biggest problems of nano technology replacing the current "surgery" method - control. We don't yet know how to control these nano particles. The theory and idea that we should use them and that they'll probably be better than a surgery exists out there and there are a lot of groups trying to figure out ways of achieving it; we're just not quite there yet.

Don't forget that the body is EXTREMELY complex. Different parts of the body behave differently even in terms of blood flow, their own repair, types of tissue, etc. You will need to have full control over nano technlogy in any and all parts of the body to get them to fix the body. That's the hardest part.

Also, we have nanotubes already doing some pretty nifty stuff - but tehy're "dumb". They aren't able to "change behavior" depending different situations, they just act a single way (connecting to one another, usually) and produce some items we can use.

To get from that to a surgery, where a zillion things need to be worked-on at once (and 'surprises' must be addressed quickly) is a huge step. We're getting there, it seems, but we're not there just yet.

Another way to seal wounds, and this is more down to Earth. Is to use a bright infared beam to melt organic wax. The wax will act as a glue.

I actually read not too long ago (I am trying to find the reference, this was uber cool) that scientists found a way to 'seal' wounds using a laser beam and some sort of nano tube 'dust'. It was only about sealing a wound (I believe it acted like heat searing the wound together, only - again - controlled). There's still a lot to go from that to an actual inner repair.

btw, things like these: http://www.physorg.com/news143718880.html (nanotube sutures) help the body heal faster and with less chance for lasting damage or complications.

There are some cool strides forward in nano technology, we're just not quite where we think we can eventually be..

~moo

Very well done, it's refreshing to see someone actually understanding the topic before speculating. I don't think you would be too far off, and that it's very plausible in the future.

I think the only problem scientist would have is relaying that information to the public. You start talking about nano biological machines and people are going to be hiding from them.

I think society has a lot of evolving to do before this sort of stuff starts seeing reality.

Well, control is a problem. But I think DNA triggers and controlled chemical reactions should give some control.

In my first post I talked about DNA triggers and rug delivery, the same DNA triggers can be programmed to sense different kinds of cells.

But yeah control is a problem, but thats more of a engineering problem, than a science problem.

The science problem is trying to get the proteins to fold.