how to read chemistry.

Hello. I was just wondering if any of you guys would be cool enough to tell me or give me some links to how to read what diagrams like the one below are called, and what the different bonding signs mean. Im kind of new to chemistry, but i crave to learn some.

Tannic%20acid_Molecular%20Structure.jpg

thanks.

Yes inorganic does have structures similar to this. And dont worry about sounding illiterate, everyone starts somewhere. A quick tip to help you out with understanding the structure, all the lines represent bonds between atoms, where the lines come together represents a carbon atom.

The double lines indicate a double bond between atoms. The hexagons with the alternating (conjugated) double bonds are called benzenes. The O and the H are oxygen and hydrogens, I guess I should have said that were the lines come together that arent labeled are carbon atoms. The wedge shaped lines indicate the stereochemistry. The wedged lines indicate that the atom is "coming at you" while dashed lines indicate that the atom is going away. I hope this helps you out.

benzene is the most common example of a molecule of a type known as aromatic. This doesnt really mean they're smelly, although many of them are. they have an unusual way of keeping their electrons. In most molecules, the electrons of one atom always stay on that atom. In benzene, some of the atoms are able to move from atom to atom. This gives it a higher-than-expected stability, and some other quite interesting properties.

ok cool thanks.

back to the diagram, what exactly are the described wedge bonds? are they the ones that are two parallel lines are the thick boomerang looking ones? whats the third bond {whatever the one that means the atom is coming at you or away from you} mean?

thanks.

The wedge bonds are the ones that indicate that atom is "coming at you" and are very dark lines that look like elongated triangles. In this molecule they are located at the center. The dashed lines indicate that the atom "is going away from you", they are also located at the center of this molecule.

The lines indicate bonds. One line is a single bond, two is a double bond, etc. The "hexagon with lines in it" is benzene, which is a pretty cool molecule. By the way, where did you find the molecule in your original post?

benzene is the most common example of a molecule of a type known as aromatic. This doesnt really mean they're smelly, although many of them are. they have an unusual way of keeping their electrons. In most molecules, the electrons of one atom always stay on that atom. In benzene, some of the atoms are able to move from atom to atom. This gives it a higher-than-expected stability, and some other quite interesting properties.

Isnt electron sharing what atom bonding in molecules is?

If my above question is true, then does that mean that only ionized particles can bond with other atoms?

bonds can be formed in two ways (for non-metallic substances). Particularly, in a molecule, bonding occurs by the sharing of electrons, as you said (known as a covalent bond). However, the electrons are still only on two atoms and still not moving around the entire molecule. In benzene, there are six atoms in a ring, and some of the electrons can move all the way around the ring as many times as they like. This is what makes benzene so unusual.

Wow Cameron, that is quite a complex molecule for you to be trying to name right off the bat.

I agree with the above posters in that you should just pick up a basic organic textbook.

And hermanntrude has done an excellent job in describing that molecule for you.

Organic textbooks will teach you all about aromatic and aliphatic compounds, benzene rings, isomers, and tons of other stuff you'll wish you've never even heard of when you have to remember IUPAC nomenclature :D

But it's great that you want to learn more. Just pick up a textbook and start reading.

Good Luck

Edited by Lan(r)12