what is it?

University

On April 15, 2009 at 8:59 pm Niabl [0] said:

For the past three weeks on my bed,each night as i go to bed to sleep. I will lied down pull my sheet and then my blanket over me. But when I hold my sheet with my left hand and hold other part with my thumb and first finger and pull my hand across the sheet a florescent light will follow my fingers as I move it across the sheet.If i do ten times or twenty or more times I get the same results,is this static electricity that is giving off this light or is it friction of my fingers moving across the sheet.

I have seen this in sleeping bags while camping.

I would not call it fluorescent light, but simply light. To fluoresce is to describe a mechanism by which the light is produced.

I have always thought it was due to static electricity. I usually see this in dry cool conditions. I hear the 'crackling ' sound of electrical discharge when I see the light. I would describe the sound like cellophane being crushed or crumpled rather than the snappy sound of a single spark from a static discharge.