calculating Ksp of MnCO3

sjlopez

[ce] Ksp=[Mn^2^+][CO3^2^-] [/ce].

where [] indicate concentration (molarity). Be sure to apply an alpha value for the fraction of carbonate that stays as carbonate. Keep in mind that it's 6am and I've yet to sleep, so I may be wrong.

No, UC, you're absolutely rightr, as Ksp is the product of the molar concentrations of the dissolved ions. It's also useful as it governs, the common ion effect, which governs a change in the solubility equilibrium of a solution, in the case of the addition of another substance.

No, UC, you're absolutely rightr, as Ksp is the product of the molar concentrations of the dissolved ions. It's also useful as it governs, the common ion effect, which governs a change in the solubility equilibrium of a solution, in the case of the addition of another substance.

Nono, I meant about the alpha value. Usually if the question cares, it will give you the pH of the solution and Ka1 and Ka2 of carbonic acid.

Ah, good point, as some of the carbonate ion is chemically altered to carbonic acid, though is in turn ionises, eventually reaching some manner of equilibrium. But yeah, if the question cared for these ions, it probably would have specified. Did your teacher, mention anything regarding this, prior to giving the work, or if they consider it to be common knowledge? This is generally a good way to find out, whether the concept is necessary in solving the question.