PXE error I need help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

kristy13

So, my computer was working perfectly fine untill two days ago, it decided not to start anymore. So it keeps showing this message:

Pre-Boot execution enviroment(PXE) v2.1

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE-ROM

I dont understand much about computers so, if somebody could help id really appreciate it.

Btw, my computer is a Toshiba windows XP.

Thanks

it sounds like your computer can't find the hard disk and is trying to load an operating system over the network(i'm pretty sure that's what PXE is anyway).

depending on how comfortable you are working on your computer, you might see if the hard drive is listed in the BIOS, maybe boot from the cd/dvd (if you have a bootable disk)and run scandisk to see if that finds any troubles.

do you back up your data much?

yeah , i normally have everything in a back up hard drive. I don´t know if this can be a problem, but my pc was very slow, so i just formated(not sure if this is the word) it like 2 weeks ago, and then now it suddenly apperas it. I tried to use the CD i have to install everything again, it reads the cd, but then when i type in C to continue the operation it just start all over again, and doesnt go through untill the end.

I got to enter in in F2 and F12 when the pc just starts, the thing is that i´m not sure about how it works exactly so, if could be a way of telling me step by step what to do, would help me soo much. Thanks for the information i really appreciate it.

i've never looked at the BIOS on a toshiba, but the screen with the disk info is usually one of the first you'll see(along with time/date and stuff) when entering the BIOS setup. if you can find your C drive on the list, just look to see if the size listed is correct. if the C drive shows up, but is the wrong size or something, make sure the disk type is set to auto .

if the C drive doesn't show up in the BIOS (or you can't find it) you could try running setup (boot from the cd/dvd) and look for an option to partition the drive. if your C drive isn't on that list or in the BIOS, your hard drive may have been damaged, that could explain why it was running so slow.

replacing a drive is not too difficult(unless its a laptop) you can find everything you need online.